Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I had a boxed curriculum all picked out. I just feel like for the first year that what I need until I get some experience under my belt. But we just found out my dh is getting layed off. So $400 is too much right now. My mom is sending a laptop as ours crashed and burned hard.  

Ds is 7 1/2 and in second grade. Right now at school he says they do reading, writing and math. For math they are doing single digit adding and subtraction and word problems. I haven't seen any writing assignments. For reading he's just supposed read for 20 minutes a night. He hardly gets any homework. 

I'm not sure exactly what our budget would be but I'd say under $100. What can you ladies suggest? It would just be for this year. Next year I could make sure I had more money to put towards it. Thank you in advance. 

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Replies (11-20):
Countess79
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM

NO one owns Easy Peasy except Lee Giles! And she has freely offered it to anyone.. 

Do you mean your running one of the facebook groups?

Quoting dedicatedrider:

Several ladies in a homeschool group I am co-owner of use Easy Peasy, it's a free curriculum available online, here: http://allinonehomeschool.com/

Countess79
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I love CLE!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Honestly, I don't think I would try to go totally free your first year. If you have a budget of under $100, though, that can EASILY be done, AND you won't be left scrambling trying to piece things together. Many of the freebies are great supplements, but I have hard time seeing them as complete (just my opinion, of course).

CLE math - an entire year for $33

Phonics and spelling - Phonics Pathways (buy the LAST edition used on Amazon) for $9

Writing - copy work at this age (free)

Grammar - First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind for $20

History - fiction and non-fiction from the library... if you can find it used over on The Well Trained Mind Forums, you can buy Story of the World text and activity book for about $25, if you want, otherwise just go with the library.

Science - Magic School Bus dvds and books (Netflix has this right now!)

dedicatedrider
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM
You misread what I said, I co-own a homeschool group and several of the ladies in it use Easy Peasy.

Quoting Countess79:

NO one owns Easy Peasy except Lee Giles! And she has freely offered it to anyone.. 

Quoting dedicatedrider:

Several ladies in a homeschool group I am co-owner of use Easy Peasy, it's a free curriculum available online, here: http://allinonehomeschool.com/

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM

shepherdsoftware.com is a free site of educational games....

starfall.com is for reading and such, but you'd have to look at it to see if he'd be learning anything or if it's too easy.

Google "free printable worksheets" and "free 2nd grade lesson ideas"

you can look for online flash cards and worksheet generators if you want to make your own math worksheets...

The library has tons of resources, pick a poetry book and use that to copy handwriting out of, pick a subject to immerse yourselves in for a while and let him practice reading some of it aloud and you reading and then discuss it afterward, make posters about the info you learned and work together on creating book reports or an "advertisement" for the book...

Countess79
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

My misunderstanding.. Sorry!

Quoting dedicatedrider:

You misread what I said, I co-own a homeschool group and several of the ladies in it use Easy Peasy.

Quoting Countess79:

Quoting dedicatedrider:

PurpleCupcake
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:39 AM

I get nearly all my curriculum at thrift stores for an average of $2 a textbook. 

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I think you could do math completely free on line or make it up yourself at that age but, i know for me that would require a lot of planning and I might fall down on the job. For me, it'd be worth it to spend some money on math to have a whole year laid out in front of me. I'd probably pick Math Mammoth light blue if this were my situation. Besides, toner for my printer is like $90 and we can go thru it fast... I'd probably easily spend more on toner and paper from Staples than what a year of math workbooks would cost.

I think you can do everything else completely free. Go with real books from the library. Just read, read, read. I think you can cover all the writing needed by doing journal entries on the reading, practicing writing in a journal, googling age-appropriate writing activities, and grammar I'm sure you can find free on-line too!

Same with science and social studies, just read, read, read and google hands-on activities and fun field trips.

Then, there are on-line learning videos - you can find so much free on youtube. And so many on-line free websites.

Go for it!!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:22 AM
We use Waldorf essentials and the entire curric is $60 when not on sale. But you'd have to read up on the Waldorf method before using it. It does require some supplies that are pricey - beeswax crayons, good water colors, water color paper, drawing paper. But all that is under $100 if you get it on sale.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:23 AM
If I wasn't doing Waldorf for second grade, I'd go by the curric guide at www.simplycharlottemason.com and find a used copy of math u see. That and a library is all you need. Though in second, you could easily teach math without a curric. Pinterest is amazing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)