Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this a selfish reason to homeschool?

Posted by   + Show Post

My 6yo has been home for a three day weekend and I LOVED it. It was so nice to have her home and that made me realize, I miss her. She was the only one who didn't go to pre school so I was used to having her home with me. She was my buddy :-)

Now during the week I really don't have much time to spend with her. After school I pick up her and Michelle (a little girl I baby sit). All of us go to the REC center, do homework, eat snack, play at the park, come home cook dinner, then it's bath, teeth and bed. On the weekends I catch up on house work and run errands. I just feel like her childhood is slipping away while I'm busy doing other things.

She's doing fine in school, but I'm really, really considering pulling her out next year. The thought of sharing her day and watching her learn and grow is very appealing.

Is that selfish of me?

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Replies (101-110):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe some of the resources that SusantheWriter has posted about their homeschool journey would help you show your hubby that homeschooling can work for the college-bound too.  Dual enrollment, looking at college, and the articles about how some colleges are actually seeking out homeschooled kids because they are often do much better prepared for college.  Remember that homeschooled kids are often given more responsibility and more project-based learning in the upper grades because we can foster the use of schedules better in the one-on-one environment than a teacher is able to do in a crowded classroom.  They want all of the kids to succeed, so they remind and review schedules where often we parents write it in their planners and let them go.  (Before anyone jumps about it, I did say "we CAN" not "we always do")

Quoting paganbaby:

Now I just have to explain that to my husband,lol.

Another reason he's leary to bring her home, is Audi's very smart. He feels she has a real shot at a university, not just a comunity college. He doesn't have high hopes for our other two but never says that in front of them. He's worried that she mighht be short changed by homeschooling, especially in highschool.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Then, yes, I would bring her home.  I would feel like I was playing favorites.  I know your older 2 NEED to be homeschooled, but it would still feel like favoritism to send DD to school if she wants to be home with you'all.

Yeah, PS is off the table.  I could not make him feel that way.

Quoting paganbaby:

I think she might be. She gets a little upset when her brother tells her about the things we do and places we go during the day. She says she wants to play games and go for walks with me like we used to (during the summer).

And poor baby! I understand where you're coming from though. I could't wait until kinder to send dd off so I could have more tme with her brother. Now I feel terrible about it :-/

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Here's the thing, is she feeling a bit jealous of the time you are spending with her siblings?  I was considering sending my youngest to kinder next year because he is wild and hard to control and takes up a lot of my time and I just wanted a year of possible peace in the house.  Then I said it to a friend in front of him (only that I was thinking of sending him, not why) and he threw a crying jag about it.  He asked if I don't like him.  Yikes!  Is she the only PSer?  And how does she feel about that?

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I'll check those out again, thanks :-)

I think also he's hesitant about my ability to teach the upper grades.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Maybe some of the resources that SusantheWriter has posted about their homeschool journey would help you show your hubby that homeschooling can work for the college-bound too.  Dual enrollment, looking at college, and the articles about how some colleges are actually seeking out homeschooled kids because they are often do much better prepared for college.  Remember that homeschooled kids are often given more responsibility and more project-based learning in the upper grades because we can foster the use of schedules better in the one-on-one environment than a teacher is able to do in a crowded classroom.  They want all of the kids to succeed, so they remind and review schedules where often we parents write it in their planners and let them go.  (Before anyone jumps about it, I did say "we CAN" not "we always do")

Quoting paganbaby:

Another reason he's leary to bring her home, is Audi's very smart. He feels she has a real shot at a university, not just a comunity college. He doesn't have high hopes for our other two but never says that in front of them. He's worried that she mighht be short changed by homeschooling, especially in highschool.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Then, yes, I would bring her home.  I would feel like I was playing favorites.  I know your older 2 NEED to be homeschooled, but it would still feel like favoritism to send DD to school if she wants to be home with you'all.

Quoting paganbaby:

I think she might be. She gets a little upset when her brother tells her about the things we do and places we go during the day. She says she wants to play games and go for walks with me like we used to (during the summer).

And poor baby! I understand where you're coming from though. I could't wait until kinder to send dd off so I could have more tme with her brother. Now I feel terrible about it :-/

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Here's the thing, is she feeling a bit jealous of the time you are spending with her siblings?  I was considering sending my youngest to kinder next year because he is wild and hard to control and takes up a lot of my time and I just wanted a year of possible peace in the house.  Then I said it to a friend in front of him (only that I was thinking of sending him, not why) and he threw a crying jag about it.  He asked if I don't like him.  Yikes!  Is she the only PSer?  And how does she feel about that?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Welcome.

Also remind him that she's just a youngin!!  I always remind my in-laws that we take it year by year, they can always go back to school if I ever get in over my head.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:57 AM

We are desk workers and lovers of textbooks, lol. We are NOT unit study, interest led, or project based, on any level, lol. My 4 year old loves it, lol. Not that we do not ever have projects - it just isn't our focus. We ARE lovers of manipulatives (love, love our c-rods! And who knew base flats could make such awesome Angry Bird houses?!).

I would venture to say that those who believe they should recreate a classroom BY doing NOTHING but using textbooks and workbook for hours a day, have never been in a classroom, lol. I'm not aware of an elementary teacher who doesn't incorporate projects and hands on! I guess that gets to me a bit - when people say "recreate the classroom" and MEAN "sit at a table and do nothing but work from a book all day every day" <---- that doesn't happen even in brick and mortar. My best friend's children were here the other day and exclaiming over my manipulatives because they have the same in their classroom. Some of my friends are teachers and when I posed about Room on the Broom (a book we bought at the bookstore the other day), a kindergarten teacher friend of mine got all excited because she was in the middle of a neat projet based unit study using that book with her class.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Sorry to butt in, but when I say school-at-home, I am thinking about those that sit at a desk for an extremely long, thoroughly scheduled day. The ones that are trying to recreate the B&M schools because they believe that the length of the day means more learning occurs. Those that schedule so thoroughly that they have one of those long-day schedules that put a knot in my stomach. Blah!
Quoting AutymsMommy:

What do you mean recreate a classroom? I'm genuinely curious because all of the programs I mentioned have been described by others, to me, as "too school at home" for them, lol; they are text and workbook focused, the teacher support or manuals encourage quiet study and desk space, etc.

Quoting mem82:

I don't really consider that school at home, though. I suppose I should have been more clear. 8)
If sassy was trying to completely recreate a class room in her house for a single child and it failed, that doesn't surprise me.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'll agree wholeheartedly that the comments about socialization are completely outdated. Most of the homeschooled children I know, socialize with age peers (and other children in general) AT LEAST once or twice a week - actively engage and socialize, I mean.

I'll disagree that "school at home" rarely works. The sheer number of happy users who are with "school at home" programs like Seton, Kolbe, Memoria Press, Abeka, etc proves that theory wrong; the sheer number of happy now-adults who graduated from programs like Kolbe and Seton proves that many children do great with school at home. Many children need that structure.

Quoting mem82:

I'm sorry but your information on homeschooling is either completely outdated by years or just wrong.

I'm sorry hsing didn't work out in your dd's case, but maybe you guys were just doing it wrong for her to be so behind and lonely.

Oh, and the therapist was really misinformed. We, home schools, are fairly used to people having the wrong impression about it because they *knew* someone who didn't like it. I know you said you did it for one child, for one year. I doubt, from your attitude, that you researched all your options or the actual theories behind hsing. I would be more than happy to explain how it works to you. 8) I have plenty of studies to back me up.

Also, homeschooling doesn't work for all kids, and school at home doesn't work well for many kids. Maybe your daughter was the exception. I imagine that if her grandmother wasn't a huge fan of homeschooling and if she was already having issues (since she had a therapist and you pulled her out of school) any schooling would have been not overly effective that year.

Quoting sassykymom4:

My sisters and brother didn't like the idea at all of HS..my sister while on leave from school and was on homebound just decided to quit and get her GED..Homeschooling takes alot of dedication. Its not as easy as most ppl think and some school districts actually require a copy if your planned coursework a semester ahead and have the right to sit in to ensure your child is being taught.

Everyone I knew that was homeschooled wished they had the school experience..

My DD was 9. We kept her home a yr. She was taught by my stepmom who has a degree in teaching primary grades and my father who was a teacher. She loved staying home but hated the loneliness..she would go to the park and watch the other kids..she would call them babies and try to Bully them when they did play with her..I talked to a tgerapist and she said it was common in children who are hs due to them spending so much time with adults and not other children. They don't see themselves as a child. When I put her back in school we had to hold her back because our homeschooling curriculum was 2 semesters behind the schools curriculum. So now she really feels like an odd child out. She's bigger and older than her classmates.

HS in our household was a horrible idea.

Quoting paganbaby:

She likes school but at this age I think she would enjoy being at home more. We talked today and she said she wanted to homeschool. She was under the impression that you only HS if you do badly in PS. I told her there are many reasons why kids HS and eplained a few.

I'm sorry you had such a hard time. That sucks. But I don't understand why were your sisters allowed to stay?

Also, how long was your dd HS and did she ever play with other kids?

Quoting sassykymom4:

I was homeschooles and I did homeschool my DD..

MY ADVICE:

Consider your DD. Does she like school? Just because you're lonely does that justify taking her away from something she loves??

I hated being homeschooled. I missed Prom and Homecomings. My father pulled me out if school because he thought public schools did more harm than good..my sisters both stayed in public school and I was jealous. To this day at 30 yrs old I wish I got to experience all the things my friends/family members did.My only friends were other homeschooled kids who were just as lonely. Or the kids in Sunday school.

My DD loved it on the other hand..but I chose to put hee back in public school after she needed speech therapy and the school denied her due to the fact that she wasn't a student..

I will be the first to say my DD has trouble making friends. To much time at home with me has caused her to think she's much more mature..to mature for kids her own age.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this

You know that is so true! You made me feel a lot better. I'll tell him that too when it comes up again.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Welcome.

Also remind him that she's just a youngin!!  I always remind my in-laws that we take it year by year, they can always go back to school if I ever get in over my head.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:15 PM
2 moms liked this

It's less the "doing nothing but workbooks" and more about the long hours with no real breaks for the kids.  We do Math U See (manipulative, yes; but mostly workbooks) and other workbook-based lessons, but they get breaks.  Our day (remember my oldest is only 8) ends by lunch (7:30-12:30).  When we did K12 our day was often 8-10 hours long; their music and art were boring, over-done, and time consuming; their math often had 2 worksheets AND a test; that, to me, is school-at-home.  

I realize that the B&Ms do manipulatives and circle time, floor work, etc; but they are often long drawn out lessons because they have to get the info into the fastest learner AND the slowest learner.  But many parents who start out homeschooling think that that long amount of time is necessary for learning to take place.  Plus a PS teacher needs to do 20+ math problems so that a larger number of kids can respond and "show they know" the concept, so we can do 5-10 here at home and move on knowing that our kids have it. 

It's very difficult to plan an 8 hour day full of projects and hands-on, so they often rely too heavily on workbooks.  I've been a teacher and I've been in many ps classrooms and I still find the lessons can be very slow and have a lot of sit at the desk and wait time simply so the teacher can get to each of the kids and each of the kids has the time necessary to finish the work.  I would hate to recreate that in my home, and it is what I think of when I say school-at-home.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

We are desk workers and lovers of textbooks, lol. We are NOT unit study, interest led, or project based, on any level, lol. My 4 year old loves it, lol. Not that we do not ever have projects - it just isn't our focus. We ARE lovers of manipulatives (love, love our c-rods! And who knew base flats could make such awesome Angry Bird houses?!).

I would venture to say that those who believe they should recreate a classroom BY doing NOTHING but using textbooks and workbook for hours a day, have never been in a classroom, lol. I'm not aware of an elementary teacher who doesn't incorporate projects and hands on! I guess that gets to me a bit - when people say "recreate the classroom" and MEAN "sit at a table and do nothing but work from a book all day every day" <---- that doesn't happen even in brick and mortar. My best friend's children were here the other day and exclaiming over my manipulatives because they have the same in their classroom. Some of my friends are teachers and when I posed about Room on the Broom (a book we bought at the bookstore the other day), a kindergarten teacher friend of mine got all excited because she was in the middle of a neat projet based unit study using that book with her class.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Sorry to butt in, but when I say school-at-home, I am thinking about those that sit at a desk for an extremely long, thoroughly scheduled day. The ones that are trying to recreate the B&M schools because they believe that the length of the day means more learning occurs. Those that schedule so thoroughly that they have one of those long-day schedules that put a knot in my stomach. Blah!
Quoting AutymsMommy:

What do you mean recreate a classroom? I'm genuinely curious because all of the programs I mentioned have been described by others, to me, as "too school at home" for them, lol; they are text and workbook focused, the teacher support or manuals encourage quiet study and desk space, etc.

Quoting mem82:

I don't really consider that school at home, though. I suppose I should have been more clear. 8)
If sassy was trying to completely recreate a class room in her house for a single child and it failed, that doesn't surprise me.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'll agree wholeheartedly that the comments about socialization are completely outdated. Most of the homeschooled children I know, socialize with age peers (and other children in general) AT LEAST once or twice a week - actively engage and socialize, I mean.

I'll disagree that "school at home" rarely works. The sheer number of happy users who are with "school at home" programs like Seton, Kolbe, Memoria Press, Abeka, etc proves that theory wrong; the sheer number of happy now-adults who graduated from programs like Kolbe and Seton proves that many children do great with school at home. Many children need that structure.

Quoting mem82:

I'm sorry but your information on homeschooling is either completely outdated by years or just wrong.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Us too! We were spending so many hours doing boring work, neither of us wanted to get started each morning :-/

Quoting bluerooffarm:

It's less the "doing nothing but workbooks" and more about the long hours with no real breaks for the kids.  We do Math U See (manipulative, yes; but mostly workbooks) and other workbook-based lessons, but they get breaks.  Our day (remember my oldest is only 8) ends by lunch (7:30-12:30).  When we did K12 our day was often 8-10 hours long; their music and art were boring, over-done, and time consuming; their math often had 2 worksheets AND a test; that, to me, is school-at-home.  

I realize that the B&Ms do manipulatives and circle time, floor work, etc; but they are often long drawn out lessons because they have to get the info into the fastest learner AND the slowest learner.  But many parents who start out homeschooling think that that long amount of time is necessary for learning to take place.  Plus a PS teacher needs to do 20+ math problems so that a larger number of kids can respond and "show they know" the concept, so we can do 5-10 here at home and move on knowing that our kids have it. 

It's very difficult to plan an 8 hour day full of projects and hands-on, so they often rely too heavily on workbooks.  I've been a teacher and I've been in many ps classrooms and I still find the lessons can be very slow and have a lot of sit at the desk and wait time simply so the teacher can get to each of the kids and each of the kids has the time necessary to finish the work.  I would hate to recreate that in my home, and it is what I think of when I say school-at-home.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting mem82:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Yes!!!  I was so glad to kick the habit and do our own thing!  We would fall so far behind in the boring history, music and art classes it wasn't even funny.  Then I realized that all the arts and crafts fun stuff and music appreciation in the car were teaching him so much more than he was understanding from their lessons. It was very liberating.  :-)

Quoting paganbaby:

Us too! We were spending so many hours doing boring work, neither of us wanted to get started each morning :-/

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting mem82:

Tal0n
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Why thank you!!  I'm glad someone gets it. :)  Selfishness is not a bad thing; it drives the survival of the human race!  And like anything else, it has a good side and a bad side.  The trick is to recognize that and realize you don't have to apologize when being selfish is the right thing for you or your family.

Of course, right now, my homeschooled kid is hating me with every complex multiplication problem she's doing, but she'll be thrilled when she's done. (We use IXL...she gets into the high 90's, gets complacent, doesn't check her work and SLAM...setback.  I'm a mean Mom, but she's the one who insists on 100% of all skills in all categories.  In math, how can you argue with that?)

Quoting paganbaby:

What a unique perspective! I like that.

Quoting Tal0n:

Of course it's selfish.  But that's NOT A BAD THING.

We're taught that being selfish is right up there with pillaging and sacking villages.

It's selfish...but it's a good selfish and a perfectly sound reason to homeschool.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh the history was the worst! Even I had a hard time staying focused...

And us too! Picking our own arts and crafts and listening to the radio at home is way better.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yes!!!  I was so glad to kick the habit and do our own thing!  We would fall so far behind in the boring history, music and art classes it wasn't even funny.  Then I realized that all the arts and crafts fun stuff and music appreciation in the car were teaching him so much more than he was understanding from their lessons. It was very liberating.  :-)

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting mem82:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)