Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is this a selfish reason to homeschool?

Posted by   + Show Post

My 6yo has been home for a three day weekend and I LOVED it. It was so nice to have her home and that made me realize, I miss her. She was the only one who didn't go to pre school so I was used to having her home with me. She was my buddy :-)

Now during the week I really don't have much time to spend with her. After school I pick up her and Michelle (a little girl I baby sit). All of us go to the REC center, do homework, eat snack, play at the park, come home cook dinner, then it's bath, teeth and bed. On the weekends I catch up on house work and run errands. I just feel like her childhood is slipping away while I'm busy doing other things.

She's doing fine in school, but I'm really, really considering pulling her out next year. The thought of sharing her day and watching her learn and grow is very appealing.

Is that selfish of me?

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Replies (21-30):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I knew I could count on you to give me the other side of the argument,lol.

That's a big reason I'm hesitating. If it's not broken, why fix it? What if I pull her out and she worse at home?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I wouldn't pull a child out of a working school environment.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

5PointedHuman
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Just be honest with her! Tell her that you miss her company through out the day and if she wanted to, you'd be delighted to homeschool her too. I wish you all the best

Quoting paganbaby:

I already have my older two (8yo ds and 14yo dd) at home. And I think it would be great. Ds is just a bit ahead of her academically so I know he could be a big help. I want to talk to her but I'm worried about her reaction. She knows I brought her brother and sister home for failing academically and that's not the case with her. I don't want her to feel like it's a punishment of some sort :-/

Quoting 5PointedHuman:

I don't think so. Do you have other children you're considering homeschooling? It's so neat to see older siblings be a part of their younger siblings' learning experience. Maybe talk to your daughter and ask how she feels about it?

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:27 PM

And there is that. Maybe if I tell her alot of other reasons why some kids homeschool?

Quoting kmath:

I don't think it is selfish, but if she is doing well in school then I don't know that I would pull her out, especially if she is going to feel she is being punished.  Any reason to homeschool is fine and if that is what is best for you guys then pull her. 

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

So simple! Lol I'm going to tell her exactly that. Thanks!

Quoting 5PointedHuman:

Just be honest with her! Tell her that you miss her company through out the day and if she wanted to, you'd be delighted to homeschool her too. I wish you all the best

Quoting paganbaby:

I already have my older two (8yo ds and 14yo dd) at home. And I think it would be great. Ds is just a bit ahead of her academically so I know he could be a big help. I want to talk to her but I'm worried about her reaction. She knows I brought her brother and sister home for failing academically and that's not the case with her. I don't want her to feel like it's a punishment of some sort :-/

Quoting 5PointedHuman:

I don't think so. Do you have other children you're considering homeschooling? It's so neat to see older siblings be a part of their younger siblings' learning experience. Maybe talk to your daughter and ask how she feels about it?

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Yes it is...

How old are yours?

Quoting candiedgala:

That's one of the main reasons why I want to homeschool. The time together is so precious, why give up any of it if I don't have to.

candiedgala
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I have one DD who will be 3 this month and we are starting homeschool in November.

Quoting paganbaby:

Yes it is...

How old are yours?

Quoting candiedgala:

That's one of the main reasons why I want to homeschool. The time together is so precious, why give up any of it if I don't have to.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely NOT, childhood is so fleeting that we should all wish to spend our days with our children because once they are grown we will never get this time with them again!

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

As long as she knows why you are pulling her I think she will be fine.  Just make sure she understands it isn't a punishment, it is something that is good for her.

Quoting paganbaby:

And there is that. Maybe if I tell her alot of other reasons why some kids homeschool?

Quoting kmath:

I don't think it is selfish, but if she is doing well in school then I don't know that I would pull her out, especially if she is going to feel she is being punished.  Any reason to homeschool is fine and if that is what is best for you guys then pull her. 

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:42 PM

You know this is going to piss my dh off,lol. You guys are supossed to talk me out of it. He thinks she's doing fine and not to mess with it.

Quoting usmom3:

Absolutely NOT, childhood is so fleeting that we should all wish to spend our days with our children because once they are grown we will never get this time with them again!

posh417
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM

That is about 90% of the reason why I chose homeschooling. When DS was in kindergarten, I just missed him and felt like that year was gone and I didn't get to enjoy him. The other 10% was dealing with a bully that was never disciplined, so he was dealing with it on his own. I was homeschooled and it felt like the right way to go. We're on our second year and I've started DD as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)