Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is this a selfish reason to homeschool?

Posted by   + Show Post

My 6yo has been home for a three day weekend and I LOVED it. It was so nice to have her home and that made me realize, I miss her. She was the only one who didn't go to pre school so I was used to having her home with me. She was my buddy :-)

Now during the week I really don't have much time to spend with her. After school I pick up her and Michelle (a little girl I baby sit). All of us go to the REC center, do homework, eat snack, play at the park, come home cook dinner, then it's bath, teeth and bed. On the weekends I catch up on house work and run errands. I just feel like her childhood is slipping away while I'm busy doing other things.

She's doing fine in school, but I'm really, really considering pulling her out next year. The thought of sharing her day and watching her learn and grow is very appealing.

Is that selfish of me?

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Replies (31-40):
tairakittie
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM
It may be hard, but let her finish out this school year and take this time to plan for next year. My DD wanted to be in PreK so bad, so i let her, and even though it killed me every day to be without her, even for only 3 hours a day, I let her do what SHE wanted then spent the summer asking her if she wanted to homeschool and presenting my reasons with her. She still wanted to attend public school like her peers but I try to keep her busy and happy and she really does enjoy being home. DS has never been to school, he really wanted to go when DD was in because he saw how much fun she had and we participated a lot with holidays and parties and book reading, but he hasnt even brought it up since DDs school year ended and we started right back up with homeschooling (something I had been.kind of doing with him, more unschooling though). :)
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:31 PM
2 moms liked this

Hey, that's what I'm here for, lol.

Look, I would no sooner send a child away from a WORKING homeschool environment, than I would pull them from a WORKING any-school environment.

By "working" I mean that you are happy with progress made, content and skills taught, emotional and physical well being, etc.

If she's happy and doing well, don't rock the boat - the minute you do, it becomes less about her and her education, and more about YOU and YOUR happiness and, yes, that's selfish.

Quoting paganbaby:

I knew I could count on you to give me the other side of the argument,lol.

That's a big reason I'm hesitating. If it's not broken, why fix it? What if I pull her out and she worse at home?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I wouldn't pull a child out of a working school environment.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Not selfish at all. It's one of our reasons, too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Dose she miss you as much as you miss her? I would think it would be mutually beneficial if you two where as close as you say you where & now that bond is not as strong as it once was!

You have to do what is going to be best for your family!

Quoting paganbaby:

You know this is going to piss my dh off,lol. You guys are supossed to talk me out of it. He thinks she's doing fine and not to mess with it.

Quoting usmom3:

Absolutely NOT, childhood is so fleeting that we should all wish to spend our days with our children because once they are grown we will never get this time with them again!

Countess79
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Honestly... I think it is a sign your a great mom! 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Oct. 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM
How would she feel about it? That's what I would consider....if she hates the idea and loves school, then I don't think it would be best to pull her. But if she would want to be home with you (and you have a teen girl too right?), then why not do it? They are only little once :). If we have another, I don't think I would even try ps, maybe half day prek or k-or a playgroup, but other than that I would just keep them home. I wish I had spent lots more time with my kids when they were little!
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Spounds like things worked out :-) Did he finish out kindergarten? And how old is your dd?

Quoting posh417:

That is about 90% of the reason why I chose homeschooling. When DS was in kindergarten, I just missed him and felt like that year was gone and I didn't get to enjoy him. The other 10% was dealing with a bully that was never disciplined, so he was dealing with it on his own. I was homeschooled and it felt like the right way to go. We're on our second year and I've started DD as well.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Oh yes. I would defintely let her finish out the year. I need that long to get her brother and sister on track. It still sucks to send her off each day though :-( 

What grade is your dd in? And I love the idea of unschooling. I did it a lot when the kids were young. Now ds does a loose kinda schooling. I'm thinking 14yo dd is going to need a stricture schedule though.

Quoting tairakittie:

It may be hard, but let her finish out this school year and take this time to plan for next year. My DD wanted to be in PreK so bad, so i let her, and even though it killed me every day to be without her, even for only 3 hours a day, I let her do what SHE wanted then spent the summer asking her if she wanted to homeschool and presenting my reasons with her. She still wanted to attend public school like her peers but I try to keep her busy and happy and she really does enjoy being home. DS has never been to school, he really wanted to go when DD was in because he saw how much fun she had and we participated a lot with holidays and parties and book reading, but he hasnt even brought it up since DDs school year ended and we started right back up with homeschooling (something I had been.kind of doing with him, more unschooling though). :)

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 4:15 PM
2 moms liked this
I personally feel like its unnatural to send your kids off with strangers during these early years. Homeschooling is not just for education. Its for family building. Honestly, education is the least of my reasons for homeschooling. I do it for my family as a whole.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 4:40 PM

:-)

I get what you're saying but is academics the only valid reason to school a child a certain way? Yes, she's happy as far as I can tell at school. She's learning, she has friends. But she's also gone for 6 hours a day. That's so much time for a 6 year old. 

20 years from now, I don't want to look back and know that fear kept me from spending as much quality time as possible with my children.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Hey, that's what I'm here for, lol.

Look, I would no sooner send a child away from a WORKING homeschool environment, than I would pull them from a WORKING any-school environment.

By "working" I mean that you are happy with progress made, content and skills taught, emotional and physical well being, etc.

If she's happy and doing well, don't rock the boat - the minute you do, it becomes less about her and her education, and more about YOU and YOUR happiness and, yes, that's selfish.

Quoting paganbaby:

I knew I could count on you to give me the other side of the argument,lol.

That's a big reason I'm hesitating. If it's not broken, why fix it? What if I pull her out and she worse at home?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I wouldn't pull a child out of a working school environment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)