Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Field trip ideas?!

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 4:19 PM
  • 8 Replies
Hi everyone!! I live in a small town(only about 11,000 people) and there is literally no place to take my children for field trips. We've been to the library, that's the only place to take them. I have a 2nd grader and 4th grader. My town has 1 grocery store, like 5 gas stations but nothing else to go see and do. The next town away we have to plan to go to because it's that far away.It's not a place to go to that often. Any ideas of what I could do? Thanks in advanced!!!
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Is there a police department, fire station, clinic etc that might be willing to have employees talk to your kids for 15-20 min and do a short tour?  Have you talked to other mother's who have kids in school, where do they go?

Can you do a nature field trip with a scavenger hunt or a leaf hunt?

Are there any businesses in the area that might allow tours? Automotive, power plant, manufacturing?

oredeb
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:51 AM

is there some kinda mill? or farm? even the garbage dump is fun!

to a park with a pond? look for animals and bugs?

newspaper office?

tv station close? the weather guy loves to give tours

air port?

gratefulgal
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Here's a fun one that can turn tasty, too: Restaurants! Not only a tour, but usually a free or discounted meal, too!

fallenangel_353
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Post Office, Courthouse (Just call ahead, and it should be free for a tour) Nature Walks, Simple play at the park days. Go identify the different leaves on trees, collect different rock types. Go on a picnic and nature photography walk.  You can literally do hundreds of things just outside in the woods :)

shaharv
by New Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas!!! I will definitely put them to good use. There were some great ideas that I didn't even think about:)

Clh1989
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Fire station, post office, police station, recycling center if you have one, possibly even a restaurant. You could try coordinating a nature scavenger hunt. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes you could get the grocery store to do a field trip...

What about a trip to a farm?  

Some plants/factories can handle small field trips, however, they sometimes require a group... not just one family.

Go to the park and do PE activities or science activities...

Hold a lemonade stand and some discussions on business and entreprenurial skills.

Driver's ed???? LOL!   Take them out to ride go-karts, discuss road safety and then go on a drive to spot road signs and hazaards.

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I can relate I'm in a town of 3,000 so your town seems huge to me! We've done the fire station, lakes, rivers, and nature trails locally. We mostly end up driving 40+ miles for our field trips though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)