Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

one at home - one at "regular" school?

Posted by   + Show Post

Does anyone have a child in regular school and one homeschooled?

I did homeschool my dd (7) back in K when we were waiting for a spot to open in a private school and it went well.. then my ds was 3 so not an issue.

dd has since been diagnosis with adhd and has since had other troubling problems yet to be given a diagnosis (probably due to age).

She has attempted suicide while in an episode of rage and while undergoing psychological testing yesterday told the doctor she thinks of it often.

So my dh is reluctantly giving in to homeschooling her but our ds in K is loving school. dd has few friends if any in school and no one wants to play with her at recess. 

She is an incredibly smart kid and I don't want ther to lose her love for learning - esp math!!

It would mean I couldn't go on field trips and not sure that dd would cope well with her brother still going to school ... on the other hand I am not sure that my ds would cope well with her staying home.

A good friend of mine who works full time told me "so what I never get to go on field trips".....

If you are in this situation how do you do it?

The other q I have is that we are due to go overseas 11/21 for 5 weeks anyway.. would you wait till then to pull her or pull her sooner?

Any advice appreciated!!

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Replies (11-14):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Oh, I forgot to add, her brother was in Kindy the year we pulled her.   We thought he was doing great, but ended up having teacher issues later and just missed the little guy.   We pulled him for first grade and he really has enjoyed being homeschooled as well.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:01 PM

We had 1 at home and 2 in public school, then 2 at home and 1 in public school, and now we have all 3 at home.  For me the whole point of homeschooling is to do what's best for each of my children.  Whatever that may be.  For now that's having them all at home.  Down the road...I don't know. 

I pulled my middle child out due to anxiety and depression.  She wanted to kill herself when she was 8.  It was hard for her at first, but absolutely the best thing we could have done for her.  If I were in your shoes, I would go ahead and pull her.  Give her that time to deschool while you get your ducks in a row as far as curriculum, etc.

Good luck!

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Btw, when it was just my youngest at home, she loved the one-on-one time she got with me.  I was also able to make arrangements to still participate in activities with my other two in ps.  It is doable

kiwimom74
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:45 PM

thank you everyone...

Monday's appointment can't come soon enough

LOL as far as deschooling goes.... this is a child that asks to do "homework' in the weekends.... I don't think she could stand to not do anything... she also willingly did math over her summer vacation :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN