Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you pick out your kids library books?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM
  • 35 Replies
Today, I watched Cole, my struggling reader, come out of the reference section of the library with a whole stack of books on Ancient Egypt. He choose the topic and the books. One of them was an adult book and the others were also *above his reading level *. He has been flipping through them and reading what he can. I figure this will only lead to him reading better, right? Lol So do let your kids get whatever they like from the library?
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I let them get whatever they want, with the exception recently of me banning flimsy books.  I'm done getting falling apart books that my children certainly don't help stay in any kind of viewable condition.  Other than that, if they pick it, kudos to them.  I do pick up additional books because I have kids who freeze at the prospect of picking books.  I also have a hard time pulling some away from the computers.  :)  Yeah, reading a variety is good for them, even if they can't "really" handle it right now.

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Yep, he picks out whatever he wants, he reads what he can and if we find it is too difficult for him, but he really wants to read it, I read it to him.  I tend to pick out a lot of the research books, but he always approves of them. 

RADmomma
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:27 PM
I help guide her on certain books but then she gets a few free choice books as well!!
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

My only rule is no Stephen King until they are 16.  LOL

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM
I do let them choose. I may make suggestions if they picked something that looks interesting and then change their mind.

Especially DD who will purposely pick easy reads. I will suggest a harder book and offer to read it with her to help encourage building her skill.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Pretty much. I do watch what my 11 yr old daughter gets out of the teen section. Much of that is filled with "dating" concepts that I just don't want to bring into our home.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

My parents didn't filter anything I read as a child.   When I was 12, I started going to church on my own.  I chose (on my own) to follow the bible.

At this point, I had been reading smut books and stuff from authors like Stephen King.  I got one of his new books (at the time) and was so excited.  (The Dark Half)... 

Halfway through the book, I realized that what I was reading was NOT what God would want me to read.  It's a great book i'm sure, and Stephen King is very talented.  I'm not trying to say he's a horrid writer.  It's just that he was describing in full gory and disgusting detail about a man's body part being cut off and how it was used at that point.   

It struck me then, that many of my books were very wrong in the eyes of God.   I filled one of those yellow contractor style trash bags about 2/3rd full and threw them away.   

I wish I had that kind of zeal for pleasing God now that I'm older...   and I really don't know why I shared that about me... LOL!   Take of it what you would like...

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM

When I was growing up that was my mother's only rule too.  Although she did allow the Eyes of the Dragon earlier because it didn't use the words she didn't want to explain, LOL!  But she never said that rule until I was a tween, I just would not have been interested before then.  BUT my middle boy is a very dark little man, he loves Zombies, skeletons, ghosts, etc.  So he desperately wants to read Skeleton Crew (he's 6 for goodness sake!).  I just won't allow it.

I trust my kids to read pretty much on level (or a bit above where they are), but King uses some words I would not be comfortable explaining.  I guess I wouldn't want them reading a few other authors, but they haven't come up yet.

Quoting KrissyKC:

My parents didn't filter anything I read as a child.   When I was 12, I started going to church on my own.  I chose (on my own) to follow the bible.

At this point, I had been reading smut books and stuff from authors like Stephen King.  I got one of his new books (at the time) and was so excited.  (The Dark Half)... 

Halfway through the book, I realized that what I was reading was NOT what God would want me to read.  It's a great book i'm sure, and Stephen King is very talented.  I'm not trying to say he's a horrid writer.  It's just that he was describing in full gory and disgusting detail about a man's body part being cut off and how it was used at that point.   

It struck me then, that many of my books were very wrong in the eyes of God.   I filled one of those yellow contractor style trash bags about 2/3rd full and threw them away.   

I wish I had that kind of zeal for pleasing God now that I'm older...   and I really don't know why I shared that about me... LOL!   Take of it what you would like...

Quoting bluerooffarm:

posh417
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Sometimes they pick out books, other times I'll choose a theme or holiday and they stay within the range. 

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Good for him!

As for my kids, I let them pick the topic then I help them find book they's be interested in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN