Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you pick out your kids library books?

Posted by   + Show Post
Today, I watched Cole, my struggling reader, come out of the reference section of the library with a whole stack of books on Ancient Egypt. He choose the topic and the books. One of them was an adult book and the others were also *above his reading level *. He has been flipping through them and reading what he can. I figure this will only lead to him reading better, right? Lol So do let your kids get whatever they like from the library?
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Neither my husband nor I were raised in a Christian home.   ((not trying to push religion, it's just how we choose to base our lives now))... However, we choose to follow that verse, "as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

Even when our kids are older, we are asking that anything that comes into our home is God honoring.  I don't think Stephen King's books (or others like his) will be welcome here even when the kids are grown.  I'm not trying to pass judgement on others (sorry Stephen King for using your books as an example!!!), but it's just what we choose to have or NOT have in our home.   

Not trying to pick on just King, but there are other books that we feel that way about.   It's not about the zombies and such.   I actually like zombies and fun things like that.  It's not about the imaginary stuff.. it's more about the morals that go hand-in-hand with a lot of these things.  We just choose to not have them in our home regardless of the kids' ages.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

When I was growing up that was my mother's only rule too.  Although she did allow the Eyes of the Dragon earlier because it didn't use the words she didn't want to explain, LOL!  But she never said that rule until I was a tween, I just would not have been interested before then.  BUT my middle boy is a very dark little man, he loves Zombies, skeletons, ghosts, etc.  So he desperately wants to read Skeleton Crew (he's 6 for goodness sake!).  I just won't allow it.

I trust my kids to read pretty much on level (or a bit above where they are), but King uses some words I would not be comfortable explaining.  I guess I wouldn't want them reading a few other authors, but they haven't come up yet.

Quoting KrissyKC:

My parents didn't filter anything I read as a child.   When I was 12, I started going to church on my own.  I chose (on my own) to follow the bible.

At this point, I had been reading smut books and stuff from authors like Stephen King.  I got one of his new books (at the time) and was so excited.  (The Dark Half)... 

Halfway through the book, I realized that what I was reading was NOT what God would want me to read.  It's a great book i'm sure, and Stephen King is very talented.  I'm not trying to say he's a horrid writer.  It's just that he was describing in full gory and disgusting detail about a man's body part being cut off and how it was used at that point.   

It struck me then, that many of my books were very wrong in the eyes of God.   I filled one of those yellow contractor style trash bags about 2/3rd full and threw them away.   

I wish I had that kind of zeal for pleasing God now that I'm older...   and I really don't know why I shared that about me... LOL!   Take of it what you would like...

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My only rule is no Stephen King until they are 16.  LOL

tonyanamelia
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I let me kids pick whatever they want within reason. If my 3 year old picked a book on anchient Egypt, I'd be afraid he would just use it to drive his cars on. LOL But if my 6 year old (who reads at a 3rd grade level) wanted to read it, I would certianly let her. I also pick out books while I'm there that  I think they would like given their interests. So we have books that they pick and I pick. Sometimes mine are better, sometimes their picks are better. It does give us quite a bit to enjoy though! The only thing bad....Library late fees! I am horrible about not remembering what day they are due. Sigh! 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM
I pick books I want them to read (since our curriculum is put together by me, we get a lot if history books from the library), and I get a bunch that I don't expect them to read, but they are on our current history topic and I like when they choose them for fun.

But they have free choices with books as well. They read every night, and that can be anything they want. They are still choosing from the children's section so I haven't limited much yet (they are 10 and 11). Technically, DS is supposed to be going to the teen/young adult section according to the library-for their events and stuff- but he doesn't find much he's interested in "upstairs" yet (I love our library, the whole first floor is children's, the second floor is young adults on one half, then adults on the other, and the third floor is reference) though he likes to go to the third floor for reference books sometimes :)

The only book I flat out said no to was "Are You The God? It's me, Margaret" for DD10. My mil actually bought it for her when they were out one day and DH and I ended up taking it away, but not before DD read the first 5 chapters :/. I haven't said much to mil since...and we live together. It made things a bit awkward...but one of the reasons we stopped sending them to ps was bc of DDs negative body image and boy craziness that had started (along with a myriad of other reasons!) so I felt the book was not appropriate for our 10 yo. MIL was NOT happy that we even questioned it, but it wasn't her call to make.

Sorry that went off topic. So to answer your question..we do both. I choose a book we read out of together, a choose books relevant to history or as our 'curriculum' and they choose their free reading books.
Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Mostly. But my dd who is reading at close to a 2nd grade level will pick all baby board books if I let her. The display is more appealing and you can see the fronts rather than spines. So I let her get one or two but then have to encourage her over to some picture books. I usually pick out her readers. She gets frustrated trying to find her level. So she gets the ones for me to read to her and I get the books for her to read to me lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Ha! I just had this conversation with my 12 yo. I told her no King until she is 14. I have almost all of his books and definately all of his horror books so she has noticed them. I was reading him at 11 and 12 and scared the bejesues out of myself more than once.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:28 PM

LOL I read an excerpt from Pet Sematary (sp? for how he spelled it lol) in 8th grade English and that got me a call home from my teacher. 8) She was horrified at what I was reading.

Quoting KrissyKC:

Neither my husband nor I were raised in a Christian home.   ((not trying to push religion, it's just how we choose to base our lives now))... However, we choose to follow that verse, "as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

Even when our kids are older, we are asking that anything that comes into our home is God honoring.  I don't think Stephen King's books (or others like his) will be welcome here even when the kids are grown.  I'm not trying to pass judgement on others (sorry Stephen King for using your books as an example!!!), but it's just what we choose to have or NOT have in our home.   

Not trying to pick on just King, but there are other books that we feel that way about.   It's not about the zombies and such.   I actually like zombies and fun things like that.  It's not about the imaginary stuff.. it's more about the morals that go hand-in-hand with a lot of these things.  We just choose to not have them in our home regardless of the kids' ages.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

When I was growing up that was my mother's only rule too.  Although she did allow the Eyes of the Dragon earlier because it didn't use the words she didn't want to explain, LOL!  But she never said that rule until I was a tween, I just would not have been interested before then.  BUT my middle boy is a very dark little man, he loves Zombies, skeletons, ghosts, etc.  So he desperately wants to read Skeleton Crew (he's 6 for goodness sake!).  I just won't allow it.

I trust my kids to read pretty much on level (or a bit above where they are), but King uses some words I would not be comfortable explaining.  I guess I wouldn't want them reading a few other authors, but they haven't come up yet.

Quoting KrissyKC:

My parents didn't filter anything I read as a child.   When I was 12, I started going to church on my own.  I chose (on my own) to follow the bible.

At this point, I had been reading smut books and stuff from authors like Stephen King.  I got one of his new books (at the time) and was so excited.  (The Dark Half)... 

Halfway through the book, I realized that what I was reading was NOT what God would want me to read.  It's a great book i'm sure, and Stephen King is very talented.  I'm not trying to say he's a horrid writer.  It's just that he was describing in full gory and disgusting detail about a man's body part being cut off and how it was used at that point.   

It struck me then, that many of my books were very wrong in the eyes of God.   I filled one of those yellow contractor style trash bags about 2/3rd full and threw them away.   

I wish I had that kind of zeal for pleasing God now that I'm older...   and I really don't know why I shared that about me... LOL!   Take of it what you would like...

Quoting bluerooffarm:

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM

YES! I will pick out some that I think they might like but what ever they pick I will get too! I actually have a problem with them getting to many books at once!

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM
My library sends a reminder email if your card is registered with them..it helps me sooo much...they also let us renew online so that helps a lot too.

Another thing that helped me was using donnayoung.com, she has a printable library record list...I changed it, but you basically fill in the books you have, the date you check them out, the due date, and then you check it off when you return it (you could keep this on your fridge or somewhere prominent so you're reminded of it).

I also keep the library books mostly together in our library bin (just a smallish Rubbermaid type bucket) so they are easy to find when it's time to return them.

We typically have around 20 library items out at a time, so this has really helped me keep track of them and I am proud to say that since we started hsing and I started this system (in September, lol) we haven't had any late fees...knock on wood!

Quoting tonyanamelia:

I let me kids pick whatever they want within reason. If my 3 year old picked a book on anchient Egypt, I'd be afraid he would just use it to drive his cars on. LOL But if my 6 year old (who reads at a 3rd grade level) wanted to read it, I would certianly let her. I also pick out books while I'm there that  I think they would like given their interests. So we have books that they pick and I pick. Sometimes mine are better, sometimes their picks are better. It does give us quite a bit to enjoy though! The only thing bad....Library late fees! I am horrible about not remembering what day they are due. Sigh! 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Oh, and I wanted to say...as a former educator (wait, I'm still an educator...as a former public school educator...) when I worked in kindergarten and was working on my MEd for elementary Ed, best practice is to let them read things a bit above their level so they are always striving to read better. So letting him choose something he is interested in that is above his reading level is not a bad thing, just totally encourage him and help with words he doesn't know! This is also a good time to work on dictionary skills if he finds a word he can read but doesn't understand. He will also work on using the context to understand the meanings of words.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM

That's cool.

Although we are a Christian home, I try to let them see anything they want to.  I feel as though we can always discuss it with them, but allowing them to choose what they are exposed to (for our family) is important. Growing up my parents were staunch democrats and all three of their children completely rebelled from that upbringing, but they were relaxed about what we read and thought about anything not connected to politics and we all grew up to follow their same religious philosophy.  In my mind these 2 are related.

Quoting KrissyKC:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting KrissyKC:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)