Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you pick out your kids library books?

Posted by   + Show Post
Today, I watched Cole, my struggling reader, come out of the reference section of the library with a whole stack of books on Ancient Egypt. He choose the topic and the books. One of them was an adult book and the others were also *above his reading level *. He has been flipping through them and reading what he can. I figure this will only lead to him reading better, right? Lol So do let your kids get whatever they like from the library?
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I just had it with my 6yo!  He really, really wants to read Skeleton Crew!  But it has a very cartoony looking skeleton on the cover.

Quoting mem82:

Ha! I just had this conversation with my 12 yo. I told her no King until she is 14. I have almost all of his books and definately all of his horror books so she has noticed them. I was reading him at 11 and 12 and scared the bejesues out of myself more than once.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My only rule is no Stephen King until they are 16.  LOL

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I have a general list of books that I want my daughter to read throughout the year that she can pick and chose from throughout the year. Its usually about a list of only 20 books max, and we visit the library a lot... She only needs to pick at least one book off the list, and then what ever else she wants to read. I only have the list because, the books are either classics, or I want her to expand on the genres she reads. I don't want her to forget there are more to books than just faries...
My little guy can pick whatever he wants. He's 4...I'm just happy if he picks something instead of sticking at the puzzles lol

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Right now she usually just goes for American girl history books, magic treehouse, or fairy books. We stay in the kids section (which goes up to juvenile as well) so I don't worry much about what they pick. If it was inappropriate or scary I would veto it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mandallyn
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Yes and no.  They get to pick out 2 books each and then I pick out 2-3 that I think they would like.  Lately I've been picking out all the books because they just run around the children's section and lay. lol  

tonyanamelia
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I get the e-mail reminder 3 days before hand, it helps alot but because I don't go to town everyday, I send them with my husband and he sometimes brings them to the car but forgets. Ack, it's annoying, but I know he has other stuff on his mind. lol 
Oh, and I like the idea of the plastic tubs for the books. My kids like to spread them from here to yon and it gets really annoying. ;( 

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

My library sends a reminder email if your card is registered with them..it helps me sooo much...they also let us renew online so that helps a lot too.

Another thing that helped me was using donnayoung.com, she has a printable library record list...I changed it, but you basically fill in the books you have, the date you check them out, the due date, and then you check it off when you return it (you could keep this on your fridge or somewhere prominent so you're reminded of it).

I also keep the library books mostly together in our library bin (just a smallish Rubbermaid type bucket) so they are easy to find when it's time to return them.

We typically have around 20 library items out at a time, so this has really helped me keep track of them and I am proud to say that since we started hsing and I started this system (in September, lol) we haven't had any late fees...knock on wood!

Quoting tonyanamelia:

I let me kids pick whatever they want within reason. If my 3 year old picked a book on anchient Egypt, I'd be afraid he would just use it to drive his cars on. LOL But if my 6 year old (who reads at a 3rd grade level) wanted to read it, I would certianly let her. I also pick out books while I'm there that  I think they would like given their interests. So we have books that they pick and I pick. Sometimes mine are better, sometimes their picks are better. It does give us quite a bit to enjoy though! The only thing bad....Library late fees! I am horrible about not remembering what day they are due. Sigh! 

StepDucky
by Sarah on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I let him pick out his books, but I do scan them just to make sure they are appropriate. 

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Yes, but my oldest just turned 4.  I'm also able to reserve them online and the library pulls them (or gets them from other county libraries) and then has them ready for us at the front. I'm in and out in just a few minutes!

coala
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I let them pick what they want within reason.  I have to help guide my struggling reader towards books that are on her level, but may interest her.  She is into mysteries right now so I found a few in that genre that she can read...and she was excited.  I have also informed my children that for every non-fiction they have to choose a fiction.  To help matters I have informed them that NOTHING from the picture book section counts towards their book-it goal.  Nothing below what I know they can read is going to count (mean Mommy I know, but reading 4 picture books just isn't going to cut it for me).  My youngest is still needing help with picking out books, but I let her do a lot of the choosing and decide if it is appropriate after looking the book over.

coala
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:28 PM

We have had a ton of late fees too.

I have hopefully stopped that particular problem with late fees.....I put the return date in my phone...on my calendar with a loud reminder beep. 

Quoting tonyanamelia:

I let me kids pick whatever they want within reason. If my 3 year old picked a book on anchient Egypt, I'd be afraid he would just use it to drive his cars on. LOL But if my 6 year old (who reads at a 3rd grade level) wanted to read it, I would certianly let her. I also pick out books while I'm there that  I think they would like given their interests. So we have books that they pick and I pick. Sometimes mine are better, sometimes their picks are better. It does give us quite a bit to enjoy though! The only thing bad....Library late fees! I am horrible about not remembering what day they are due. Sigh! 

MammaG08
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:39 AM

I usually order whatever we need for our lessons online, and when we go to the library to pick them up, I let him pick out some random books he would like.   He is 5yo, so he always wants to read level 5 books (even though we are still on level 1, lol).  

That's great your son is excited about Ancient Egypt, or anything where he comes out with a big stack of books.   Happy reading!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN