Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you pick out your kids library books?

Posted by   + Show Post
Today, I watched Cole, my struggling reader, come out of the reference section of the library with a whole stack of books on Ancient Egypt. He choose the topic and the books. One of them was an adult book and the others were also *above his reading level *. He has been flipping through them and reading what he can. I figure this will only lead to him reading better, right? Lol So do let your kids get whatever they like from the library?
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Replies (31-35):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Mine pick out their own, with the expectation that mom will review certain things first. I read all the Hunger Games books before my dd did. and I have previewed a couple that I told her to put back for inappropriate content. She knows to check with me first, but she knows whats acceptable and what's not for the most part, so she is free to roam the aisles at will.

oredeb
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM

no, but i do check what they choose,

yes i think the adult books are ok, as long as theres nothing not inappropriate for the child, i agree i think it helped them read better, and want to enjoy books, something they got to choose all by them selves.

Tal0n
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:54 PM

For the most part, I do.  I point out manga series she might be interested in...she's at a stage where she's clinging to some of the things from her childhood, so occasionally I do assign a book.  (I went through the same stage multiple times, so I understand, but part of my job is to make her as flexible as possible and that means introducing new things...sometimes by "force")

monkeybunns
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:42 PM

We do a combination.  I pick out some that are on my son's level and he picks out some that he's interested in.  I pick out some based on topics we're talking about.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:10 PM

My kids pick any 2 books they want for fun reading.  Then I pick books to go along with what we are learning in history or science and they get to read those as they choose or when we are reading them for school.  I keep them available though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)