Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does anyone celebrate Reformation Day or All Saints Day instead of Halloween?

Posted by   + Show Post

Or maybe alongside Halloween?

What do you to celebrate them?

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

We celebrate Samhain. This year I will build our Needfire (like a bonfire) and hand out candy with my little one. Later in the evening I will make an offering to my ancestors.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:23 PM
We once did a study on martin Luther and that got me interested in reformation day. It came in handy when we went from a baptist church to a Lutheran one lol.so we'll probably do a reformation day recognition this year.
conejoazul
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Since coming to Mexico, I´ve incorporated Día de los Muertos into my list of annual days to celebrate, but I don't (won't ) focus on the food side of it so much (sugar skulls, pan (bread) de los muertos) as I find that very superficial and not particularly reverent to anything but a future dentist appointment compared to how the day is truly meant to be spent.  In keeping with the local traditions, we prioritize a visit to family grave plots, doing upkeep on the gardening which surrounds each one and a sweeping of the family mausoleum, and placing fresh cut flowers in profusion. In our home, we do have the colorful candlelighting in front of each loved ones photo, but we don't leave any of the other offering type items to nurish the spirit so-to-speak.  We are just now getting to the age with my oldest where we pull out photos of deceased relatives and talk with him about their stories.

KimmyPoo
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:48 AM
I much be bad, only Halloween here
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:22 AM
I realized I had forgotten Samhain but couldn't fix it on mobile. Sorry! 8)

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

We celebrate Samhain. This year I will build our Needfire (like a bonfire) and hand out candy with my little one. Later in the evening I will make an offering to my ancestors.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this
We only do Halloween, too.

Quoting KimmyPoo:

I much be bad, only Halloween here
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:24 AM
I love the idea of all the flowers. A great way to remember the past.

Quoting conejoazul:

Since coming to Mexico, I´ve incorporated Día de los Muertos into my list of annual days to celebrate, but I don't (won't ) focus on the food side of it so much (sugar skulls, pan (bread) de los muertos) as I find that very superficial and not particularly reverent to anything but a future dentist appointment compared to how the day is truly meant to be spent.  In keeping with the local traditions, we prioritize a visit to family grave plots, doing upkeep on the gardening which surrounds each one and a sweeping of the family mausoleum, and placing fresh cut flowers in profusion. In our home, we do have the colorful candlelighting in front of each loved ones photo, but we don't leave any of the other offering type items to nurish the spirit so-to-speak.  We are just now getting to the age with my oldest where we pull out photos of deceased relatives and talk with him about their stories.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

We celebrate Samhain, the true ancient holiday of the season.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM

It's the same for me.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education / KBM Creations  / Pintrest
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Not a problem:)

Quoting mem82:

I realized I had forgotten Samhain but couldn't fix it on mobile. Sorry! 8)

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN