Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Don't forget - Columbus Day is Monday

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM
  • 13 Replies

I just ordered a few books from the library to check out.

Evan Moor has a few downloads related to Columbus Day in their newsletter.  For some reason I wasn't able to paste the link here :-<

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I should probably plan something.

xomrs.chase
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Im back and forth about Columbus Day.
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:46 PM
3 moms liked this
kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Yeah, we don't do Columbus day here either.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:18 AM

We do not celebrate Columbus day either.  I had to explain him to the kids one year in history and they did not think he deserved a holiday. 

We only really celebrate Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Halloween (mainly because the kids get excited about the candy and costumes and refuse to focus). 

KimmyPoo
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:50 AM
Dont do that either
fallenangel_353
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:56 AM

We have started working on Columbus day stuff since last week :) Thanks to all the activities my 8 yr old has learned the name of the 3 ships, the country from which they departed,the route that was taken, the king and queen who funded the voyage, and he thinks its hilarious that Columbus thought they found a shortcut to East Asia! Haha. We've been making an awesome lapbook on it, it is almost complete :) It has been a nice way to fill in our history for a couple of weeks. He does however know that Columbus is not the saint he is made out to be. But since it is still part of our history that is relative to us in the states, I still teach it :) Even if he isnt technically the first discoverer, I couldnt imagine not teaching about Columbus and Ponce De Leon (sp?) It's so interesting!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:34 AM
I agree. We have the books, A History of Us, and they do a great job explaining who found what and how that impacted us. It also shows that most of the people involved were just human, and not perfect. It even points out when someone was just a jerk.

Quoting fallenangel_353:

We have started working on Columbus day stuff since last week :) Thanks to all the activities my 8 yr old has learned the name of the 3 ships, the country from which they departed,the route that was taken, the king and queen who funded the voyage, and he thinks its hilarious that Columbus thought they found a shortcut to East Asia! Haha. We've been making an awesome lapbook on it, it is almost complete :) It has been a nice way to fill in our history for a couple of weeks. He does however know that Columbus is not the saint he is made out to be. But since it is still part of our history that is relative to us in the states, I still teach it :) Even if he isnt technically the first discoverer, I couldnt imagine not teaching about Columbus and Ponce De Leon (sp?) It's so interesting!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

We are the same. IMO it's the same as celebrating Hitlers birthday. No thanks. 

Quoting usmom3:

We don't celebrate Columbus in any way shape or form!

You can read any of the links & learn why

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-kasum/columbus-day-a-bad-idea_b_742708.html

http://latinamericanhistory.about.com/od/thevoyagesofcolumbus/a/09columbustruth.htm

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=141164702

And if you look you can find so much more.

Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education / KBM Creations  / Pintrest
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Oh I still teach about him, but we do it when we get there.  Not for the holiday.  My kids felt he does not deserve a holiday and I agree.  But they do learn about all of history.  The good, the bad and the ugly.

Quoting fallenangel_353:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN