Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*Tears of joy* I finally found a way to make Math fun!

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:24 AM
  • 17 Replies
5 moms liked this

My ds's been struggling with math lately. While last year math was his favorite subject, this year he just doesn't want to do it. I bring out the work sheet and he just stares at it, scribbles, takes FOREVER to do one problem, I was about to pull my hair out. Then I had an idea. Whiteboard!

I broke out the white board and wrote one problem at a time. It was better. But a miracle happened when ds asked to write a problem for me. It was a ridiculously long number subtracted by another ridiculously long number,lol. Took me a minute but I got it. Then I'm like, "Oh yeah?" "I got a hard one for you!" I wrote a double digit carrying problem. I breifly went over what to do and he got it! Then it was his turn.

We did this for about 20 min, (I added some borrowing too) when I called it quits to cries of, "No, I want to do more!"

Best math ever!

by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tairakittie
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Hehehehe... the evil ways we teach! lol I'm glad you both had fun today instead of a headache. :)

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

You're talking to a mom who sneaks kale into smoothies and squash into pancakes *Evil grin*

Oh it was so nice! I'm thinking I may even try it with my 14yo,lol.

Quoting tairakittie:

Hehehehe... the evil ways we teach! lol I'm glad you both had fun today instead of a headache. :)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL, my DS hates worksheets too, but loves being quizzed or doing flashcards or using the whiteboard.  It is awesome when we find ways they like learning!

tairakittie
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:47 AM

yes, my kids LOVE kale and spinach smoothies and BEG for pumpkin and sweet potato pancakes and waffles. lol

Any my 4 year old just walked up to my computer and said "that spells LOVE, L O V E, love!" yep... I love homeschooling. :)

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I'm hoping one day I'll be able to tell them what they're made of, LOL!

Amnd ome that is too cute!

Quoting tairakittie:

yes, my kids LOVE kale and spinach smoothies and BEG for pumpkin and sweet potato pancakes and waffles. lol

Any my 4 year old just walked up to my computer and said "that spells LOVE, L O V E, love!" yep... I love homeschooling. :)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM

We do that a lot!!  Levi started calling it "stump the chump." He loves the challenge!  Good for you guys, I love happy math days.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

We *love* the whiteboard, lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I like that,lol.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We do that a lot!!  Levi started calling it "stump the chump." He loves the challenge!  Good for you guys, I love happy math days.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

THAT IS GREAT! My younger 2 have a whiteboard in there room with a lot of different colored markers & I will leave them notes that they have to read & then they will leave me notes on it! They love that they can use all the colors as much as they want!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:00 PM

That reminds me, I have to get more markers today!

Omg, that sounds like fun. I know what I'm going to do with dd's white board now!

Quoting usmom3:

THAT IS GREAT! My younger 2 have a whiteboard in there room with a lot of different colored markers & I will leave them notes that they have to read & then they will leave me notes on it! They love that they can use all the colors as much as they want!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)