Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm so happy to have my 14yo home with me :-)

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:31 AM
  • 19 Replies
4 moms liked this

It is so nice having her home. Last week she wrote out a grocery list and went shopping with me. She was under budget! Then she made dinner that night complete with desert.

She's helping me think of fun arts and craft ideas and ways to make our day run smoother.

She's my aerobics buddy.

She decorated the house for Halloween and helped the kids pick out their costumes.

And she's gotten me to join her as she delves into the creepy world of cannibalism for survival. LOL

by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:47 AM

LOl, that is awesome!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

It really is. Our realationship has improved a lot.

Quoting kmath:

LOl, that is awesome!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:32 PM

This is great. I'm loving hearing about someone enjoying their child. So many posts I see these days are about how bad the kids are almost like they are enemies. It's wonderful that you are having fun with yours!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I was feeling that way at first too. Then I just took a break and decided to give her tasks that she enoys doing and work from there. So far so good :-)

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

This is great. I'm loving hearing about someone enjoying their child. So many posts I see these days are about how bad the kids are almost like they are enemies. It's wonderful that you are having fun with yours!

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM

OH that is AWESOME! All that learning she is getting in her day to day life that so many of use take for granted as being educational!

Have you broken it all down into subjects for documentation (if you have to do that sort of thing).

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Lol, and she doesn't even know!

Not yet. But I'm going to soon. I already do that for her brother.

Quoting usmom3:

OH that is AWESOME! All that learning she is getting in her day to day life that so many of use take for granted as being educational!

Have you broken it all down into subjects for documentation (if you have to do that sort of thing).

vicky86
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Thats awesome! It sounds like she is your daughter and your friend :)

Tal0n
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Teenagers can be perfectly awesome as well as perfectly awful!  It's a flip of the coin each day sometimes, but I'll wager we get more awesome days than not.

I love that my 13 year old is home with me.  I love that she can do in the open what I did clandestinely for years (I read to the exclusion of all else...my 7th grade Advanced English teacher would tell people for all the years I knew her that my parents were the first to come to her in Parent Teacher conferences and tell her to NOT let me read.  She thought it was weird.  Then she had me in class longer.)

I love that she can work at her own pace and UNDERSTAND things before moving on.  She's far surpassed me in math and she's only working at 75% proficient in 5th grade math and I think 15% in 6th.  I also love that she's independent enough to spend all day at a homeschooling co-op without me and today she's about to start her first Teen Open Studio at our local not for profit art center.  (She's been going there since she was 6 and aged out of the programs she used to do)

I love that she writes fanfiction and cosplays and anime...with me and on her own.  (Not the fanfiction...what I've written is mostly not for 13 year old eyes.)

I love having breaks from her, because then she gets breaks from me too...but I also love that she's comfortable enough with me to talk about her period, sex and when she was ready, her first bikini wax.  (She's a swimmer and my GOD it's hard to find swimsuits that don't require a waxing!!)

And I love that someone else loves having their kiddo around. :)

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:55 PM

That's awesome! (But you totally lost me on the last line...)

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I'm so excited for you!  I know this hasn't been the easiest transition, so I am so happy to hear how much fun it has been lately!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)