Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Our week off...

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:28 PM
  • 3 Replies

So we have taken this whole week off so far (luckily we live in a state with no real mandates about hours or days of schooling). There has been a lot of down time, but the kids are also learning a lot.

They have been cleaning, and cooking a bit. They chopped and gathered wood with DH and tried to learn how to start a fire (unfortunately my MIL used ALL of the wood DH chopped a few weeks ago and it has been raining here, so we have NO dry wood right now...so they didn't actually get to start a fire). They are working on their fort in the woods right now after we watched some survival type videos about starting fires in the wild, building a shelter, and making a slingshot. They were then interested in learning to tie good knots, so we learned a few different knots and practiced those.

We also packed emergency bags for each of us (DH already had one that we did as a gift for him for his birthday or something last year...so the the kids and I each packed one). And we switched our summer clothes with our winter clothes. We packed up some stuffed animals (in space bags...I wonder what will happen when they come back out years from now) and pulled out the quilts for the winter.

They have been reading and playing some math games. And I got a ton of planning done while they were out with DH. And I think I have decided we will do things like this again the week of Thanksgiving, so we will do school for six weeks and then have a Thanksgiving break.

Then maybe school for three weeks and have a couple weeks off for Christmas. I am loving that there are no time requirements, so I can do all of this and not worry about it. I KNOW they are learning a bunch of stuff, and a lot of it is very useful! And they are so happy to be home :)

Edited to fix the spacing...ie there was none from posting on my ipad.

by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

That is great! I love all the things that you have been doing!

coala
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

They are learning life skills.  This isn't necessarily a week off.  LOL  It sounds like they are having so much fun.

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

That is so awesome and they are learning so many things that they can use later in life! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)