Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Kid in a candy store...

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM
  • 14 Replies

That's me right now.

I found a REALLY good literature course for so super cheap.   My husband responded with, "This is REAL curriculum... like what you'd find in a REAL school."  ... um... gotta love him...    I'm like, so, what I use FAKE books normally?   LOL!  

But anyway...

I found a second copy of the text, an in-depth study on the authors in the course, and a grammar/vocab/spelling workbook on Amazon for it, too.    I just looked on Pearson, and for the stuff I have now, I would have paid $350 plus shipping for it new off of them.   I paid $28.00 total (including shipping)  

These books are in such good condition that some of them still have that "tight" feeling that a new book has when it's not been opened and used much at all.

I want to use it..  I am excited to have a "real" literature book (as my husband puts it)...

However... it's very in-dept and is 8th grade level.   My older two are 6th and 4th... I wanted to combine them.  I know they'd LEARN from it, but that means putting aside what we already are learning off of and making exceptions for their age when teaching/grading/writing.

So... encourage me to put it away and not use it until at LEAST next year if not the year after when my oldest is in 8th grade.  

by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Sweet!!!!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I can't.  I want you to use them.  :)

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Awesome! Is it Reading Street? I have those (used) for my 3rd & 6th grader and we LOVE them.
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Put the book down Mama, wait until they are ready for them! My girl was ruined on Nancy Drew books, a series I LOVED because the ex pushed them on her before she was old enough. She needed a dictionary to even try to read them. Made me so sad.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Definitely wait.  I put a box in the 'barn' (which has never been an actual barn, lol, it's just extra space off the house...sometimes we use it for a workout room-when we feel the need lol) that has older kid stuff in it.  It helps me to have it put away.  I keep a list of what's in there in my hs binder so if I'm looking for something I can check that list first  in case I forget I have something.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Oh no!!! You are NOOO help!!!   LOL!

Quoting hwblyf:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I know, I know...   it's not the grammar... it's not the reading level...  it's the writing portions that I would have to really make exceptions on.   They could do the rest of it easily and enjoy it all, but I like the WHOLE program together, with the writing extentions and such.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Put the book down Mama, wait until they are ready for them! My girl was ruined on Nancy Drew books, a series I LOVED because the ex pushed them on her before she was old enough. She needed a dictionary to even try to read them. Made me so sad.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

It is Pearson's Prentice Hall Literature Timeless Voices/Themes... Silver (8th grade)...  I found the teacher's manual and the student text at a curriculum resale.   They were $2.00 each.   That led me to search Amazon for companion material.

I guess I could go look for the 6th grade level or 7th grade level and see if I could find that.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Awesome! Is it Reading Street? I have those (used) for my 3rd & 6th grader and we LOVE them.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

The list in your binder is a good idea.   I should do that because I have found a lot of things I've put aside for younger kids that are also now too young for them as well because I forgot.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Definitely wait.  I put a box in the 'barn' (which has never been an actual barn, lol, it's just extra space off the house...sometimes we use it for a workout room-when we feel the need lol) that has older kid stuff in it.  It helps me to have it put away.  I keep a list of what's in there in my hs binder so if I'm looking for something I can check that list first  in case I forget I have something.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I know, I'm sorry.  :)

Quoting KrissyKC:

Oh no!!! You are NOOO help!!!   LOL!

Quoting hwblyf:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN