Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Why can we just get along?!?

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:34 AM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

This really isn't a question, just more of a vent. In our area, there are at least 4 homeschool groups that I know of.  There's a Classical Conversations co-op, a charter school through the County School District, an all but inactive Yahoo group, and one I started on Facebook.  There's about 65 elementary kids through the charter school, 48 families with the facebook group, and some 50 families through the yahoo! group.  I have no idea about the Classical Conversations group although it is large.  The facebook group has started doing monthly field trips.  The last two, we decided to open up to the Classical Conversations and Charter School groups.  We're used to about 20 kids tops at these things and at the Dairy, there were about 50.  We're going to the Pumpkin Patch next week and there's 91 kids signed up.  I think it's awesome.  It's an amazing opportunity to meet other homeschoolers and to realize just how much support is out there.  However, there is a lot of grumbling in the facebook group.  It's really reminiscent about Jr. High.  Yes I know it's a lot of kids, and we have broken it up into a couple of different time spots, but it's like they're upset that we invited others to join us and it's getting ugly in the comments.  It's just sad, really.  That's all - just needed to vent

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WizardOfAhs
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:51 AM
4 moms liked this

I think it's a matter of people getting too cozy in their comfort zone. New people are obviously going to have new opinions, bring in new friendship dynamics...etc. Often it livens up the existing group, but sometimes it can kill it. Regardless, your FB friends should be made aware that their behavior will be reflected through their children, and that hopefully, they will want their children to be open to new friendships, right? Good Luck!

Precious333
by Julia on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:02 AM
Yeah, one of our groups had to stop with theor yahoo account. For our cc group (as should br for all) if you have a problem, call that person and deal directly. If that doesnt work, find an unbias mediator. Never should those things be sent out to everyone, and phonecalls are always best. This is how misunderstandings start, and people gettinf upset etc.
vintage-misha
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 1:11 AM

I am apart of a large homeschool group and I also prefer the smaller more intimate ones. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this
While I see both sides of the size issue, whining about it isn't what the moms should be doing.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM

There's always a bit of jr high 'click-ish' behavior when more than one group is invited. I had the same issue when I organized a couple of homeschool summer field trips this year. *shrugs*

coala
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I'm part of a very large local HS group....we just accepted our 600th family.  That is a ton!!  We manage to get along fairly well, but I have yet to see ALL of them in one place at one time.  There are tons of playdates and field trip opportunities that most of us don't get the opportunity to take advantage of.  I am super appreciative of anyone who takes the time to set anything up.  I think that you FB people need to understand that the HS community is growing and you all should be accepting and supportive of one another.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:13 AM

It just surprised me at how petty and catty it's gotten. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:23 AM

That's sad.   We belong to a gigantic group that just cannot really get EVERYONE (or even MOST everyone) together often.   Within that group, they decided to encourage building cluster groups.   As long as they follow any guidelines from the big group, the cluster groups can set their own rules.

I say all of that because the cluster groups have all decided to limit the number of families they have in the groups.   It was frustrating last year because all three I wanted to try were full.   However, I understand the desire to not have an overwhelming number of families involved.  

Maybe it's just too many people at this stage to be able to do this successfully.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:22 PM

You've recently included 2 pretty polarizing groups. In my experience Classical Conversations is very Christian and a public charter school is secular (not saying that there aren't Christians in a charter school. I'm talking specifically about the curriculum and the atmosphere). I;m guess that you now have more individuals who fall on  either the left or right extreme end of the social scale.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Oct. 11, 2013 at 2:37 PM

It was strange because several of us in the FB group are also in the charter school, and there are also some in the FB group who are in the Classical Conversations group.  That's why we thought to include everyone in the first place :(

Quoting sha_lyn68:

You've recently included 2 pretty polarizing groups. In my experience Classical Conversations is very Christian and a public charter school is secular (not saying that there aren't Christians in a charter school. I'm talking specifically about the curriculum and the atmosphere). I;m guess that you now have more individuals who fall on  either the left or right extreme end of the social scale.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN