Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Why can we just get along?!?

Posted by   + Show Post

This really isn't a question, just more of a vent. In our area, there are at least 4 homeschool groups that I know of.  There's a Classical Conversations co-op, a charter school through the County School District, an all but inactive Yahoo group, and one I started on Facebook.  There's about 65 elementary kids through the charter school, 48 families with the facebook group, and some 50 families through the yahoo! group.  I have no idea about the Classical Conversations group although it is large.  The facebook group has started doing monthly field trips.  The last two, we decided to open up to the Classical Conversations and Charter School groups.  We're used to about 20 kids tops at these things and at the Dairy, there were about 50.  We're going to the Pumpkin Patch next week and there's 91 kids signed up.  I think it's awesome.  It's an amazing opportunity to meet other homeschoolers and to realize just how much support is out there.  However, there is a lot of grumbling in the facebook group.  It's really reminiscent about Jr. High.  Yes I know it's a lot of kids, and we have broken it up into a couple of different time spots, but it's like they're upset that we invited others to join us and it's getting ugly in the comments.  It's just sad, really.  That's all - just needed to vent

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Replies (11-16):
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 11, 2013 at 2:44 PM

There are groups in my aria that if you are a member of them you can't be a member of specific other groups because they are literally rivals! It is very childish & crazy so I have not been a member of a local group in years!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 11, 2013 at 3:26 PM
The more you have same type personalities in a grouping, the more those personalities are going to clash.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 12, 2013 at 7:28 AM
2 moms liked this
We have a grouo here that is *area*christian homeschool association.
I have several friends in the group and applied to join. They know we are christian and active in church but were denied because we use the state charter homeschool program.

Yet, another friend who uses MOST OF THE EXACT SAME MATERIAL I do, but gets it through a church homeschool program IS allowed to join.

Now, really..How Christian is that @@ I have sonce heen told that tjey would "make an exception" fore and.told.them in a very unchristian manner, where.to stuff the exception. LOL
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I have several friends in the group and applied to join. They know we are christian and active in church but were denied because we use the state charter homeschool program.

Yet, another friend who uses MOST OF THE EXACT SAME MATERIAL I do, but gets it through a church homeschool program IS allowed to join.

Now, really..How Christian is that @@ I have sonce heen told that tjey would "make an exception" fore and.told.them in a very unchristian manner, where.to stuff the exception. LOL

The association is likely affliated with HSLDA. HSLDA is pretty clear that they do not accept those enrolled in a public charter school program.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:48 PM
I understand hsdla..they dont accept those using Cjristian schools either. The double standard with our area one, accepting one school but not the other is hypocritical.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

The association is likely affliated with HSLDA. HSLDA is pretty clear that they do not accept those enrolled in a public charter school program.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Actually HSLDA does accept those using Christian correspondence schools. They just don't accept those enrolled in public school programs because they are after all, an association for homeschoolers. 

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I understand hsdla..they dont accept those using Cjristian schools either. The double standard with our area one, accepting one school but not the other is hypocritical.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)