Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Classical Conversations - reviews/experience?

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 2:02 PM
  • 20 Replies

Has anybody been a part of the Classical Conversations group in their area?  I just first heard about it yesterday, and I've been researching it, and I love what I have read!  Does anybody have any personal experience or reviews on it?  Have you looked into it as an option for your family too, why did you or didn't you decide to become part of it?  I'm looking for any reviews - positive or negative!  Thanks:) 

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 6:43 PM

A very good friend of mine heads the one closest to me.  I think it is too intense for my kids.  It is a lot of memorizing and writing.  My kids are very out of the box thinkers. They  like using creativity in what they are doing.  I think for some kids though it is the right fit.  My sons would hate it.  Another friend of mine has a daughter that really loves it.  I would talk to the one who heads it locally and see if it is a good fit for your kids.   How old are your kids?  Do they enjoy writing?    

Precious333
by Julia on Oct. 11, 2013 at 6:50 PM
This is our third year (second chld's second) year. The kids love it, i love it and we were introduced to classical education through this program. This year i am the director. Have you been to an information meeting or open house? That will help you make a decision. Are you familiar with classical education?

I dont consider my kids in the box thinkers, especially my second....he is very artistic imo, and he still loves it. I think cc can be for anyone, everyone :)
Precious333
by Julia on Oct. 11, 2013 at 6:52 PM
There is no writing for the foundations class, which are ages 4-12, essentials is the writing class and that is 3/4-6th grade.

Quoting jen2150:

A very good friend of mine heads the one closest to me.  I think it is too intense for my kids.  It is a lot of memorizing and writing.  My kids are very out of the box thinkers. They  like using creativity in what they are doing.  I think for some kids though it is the right fit.  My sons would hate it.  Another friend of mine has a daughter that really loves it.  I would talk to the one who heads it locally and see if it is a good fit for your kids.   How old are your kids?  Do they enjoy writing?    

jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:12 PM
My kids are older so that is what I was referring to. The one here requires a lot of time during the week. We wouldn't really have any time to homeschool the rest of the week. I don't think it is for everyone. We are involved in many other co-ops and it just wouldn't work for us. I really don't like all the memorizing.
Quoting Precious333:

There is no writing for the foundations class, which are ages 4-12, essentials is the writing class and that is 3/4-6th grade.

Quoting jen2150:

Precious333
by Julia on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Foundations is 4yrs old to 12 yrs old and they meet oncr a week for 3 hours, what parents do at home is up.to them.

The challenge program is normall 13 and up, they meet once a week, but the work they do at home is pretty intense.

Quoting jen2150:

My kids are older so that is what I was referring to. The one here requires a lot of time during the week. We wouldn't really have any time to homeschool the rest of the week. I don't think it is for everyone. We are involved in many other co-ops and it just wouldn't work for us. I really don't like all the memorizing.

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting jen2150:

lotof2
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:31 PM

My boys are 4 and 2 ... so this year we are working Five in a Row and just some basic math and letter work at home.  I'm considering CC for next year - and I actually really like the idea of helping kids memorize a lot of things while their able to absorb so much information and then help them make sense out of everything later and as it comes up in our lives.  I am planning a visit with the director here, I just can't believe I've never heard of it before this week!  Everybody keeps saying that it's so expensive, but maybe you can give me a ballpark idea Precious333?  When I was looking at their website, it looks like it's 325 per year plus 75 for registration and a $20 handbook ... so other than that, what expenses are you required to make (obviously, other than math/reading that you do apart from CC)?  Thanks for your responses!!

Precious333
by Julia on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Those are the expenses, but really are so worth it, if you break it down its like $6 a day. If you decide to tutor (i did for two years) you will get paid, so that may cover the cost depending in how many kids are signed up and how many kids you have in the program. Tutor was lots of fun for me and it helped me learn the material to do at home with my kids. :)

Quoting lotof2:

My boys are 4 and 2 ... so this year we are working Five in a Row and just some basic math and letter work at home.  I'm considering CC for next year - and I actually really like the idea of helping kids memorize a lot of things while their able to absorb so much information and then help them make sense out of everything later and as it comes up in our lives.  I am planning a visit with the director here, I just can't believe I've never heard of it before this week!  Everybody keeps saying that it's so expensive, but maybe you can give me a ballpark idea Precious333?  When I was looking at their website, it looks like it's 325 per year plus 75 for registration and a $20 handbook ... so other than that, what expenses are you required to make (obviously, other than math/reading that you do apart from CC)?  Thanks for your responses!!

lotof2
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:17 PM

I just think it sounds like such a wonderful addition to our homeschool routine!!  I love the idea of creating relationships with other families who want a Biblical worldview and who are learning how to teach their children.  I totally get that the cost is more than one would have to spend on homeschooling, but for me personally, if I look at it for what it offers to our family, it seems totally worth it!!  I really look forward to talking with the director of our program here and getting more information.  Thank you Precious333 for your help:)  I may be questioning you more in the future knowing that you have experience with CC :)

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Everything I saw about CC looked really good. Unfortunately the cost of the program was too much for our family. 

Precious333
by Julia on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:32 PM
You're welcome :) absolutely message me!

Quoting lotof2:

I just think it sounds like such a wonderful addition to our homeschool routine!!  I love the idea of creating relationships with other families who want a Biblical worldview and who are learning how to teach their children.  I totally get that the cost is more than one would have to spend on homeschooling, but for me personally, if I look at it for what it offers to our family, it seems totally worth it!!  I really look forward to talking with the director of our program here and getting more information.  Thank you Precious333 for your help:)  I may be questioning you more in the future knowing that you have experience with CC :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN