Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
What would you do if you were told you no longer had the right to choose to homrechool your child(ren) for your religious beliefs? That if you did so, you were going against the governments right to a unified state of belief to be tolerant to all thought processes and actions that there is nothing immoral or sinful in nature or deed.

What would you do?

undefined

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
JadeTigr7
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM

This.  Although we do homeschool at least partially for religious reasons now, it wasn't our first motivation.

Quoting debramommyof4:

We have talked about this before.  I believe most of us agreed we would disappear on a self sufficient piece of land or move to another country. 

Though I do not homeschool for religious reasons, I am sure if they took it from those who homeschool religiously they would take it from everyone.

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:00 PM
"...going against the governments right to a unified state of belief to be tolerant to all thought processes and actions that there is nothing immoral or sinful in nature or deed."

This is what I am having to ponder....
That the people of this country give up personal beliefs to have a unified state.

This is getting closer to being an actuality rather than just an opinion.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Even as a somewhat conservative Christian that highly opposes what the school teaches, I would prayerfully consider how God wanted me to proceed and would make my decisions as God led me to.

I mean, in my own mind, I forsee that situation being a battleground I'm willing to die on... but if the Lord told me to take a different approach, who am I to argue?

Yes, I feel very strongly that there is a lot of "indoctrination" within the school (and yes, I'm aware that some people feel that's just what we are doing by homeschooling from a Biblical world view.)  However, that's probably off topic.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting KrissyKC:

I'd either flee or stand for our rights.   I don't think I'd put them back in school in that scenario willingly.

So, does this mean you would give it some consideration, at least?

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Well, I am with you there. If God were to direct my path that way then yes, I would do so. However, I do not think that God would ask of me to do something that He called me to walk away from. While I do not presume to be all powerfull and knowing any more than the next person, I just do not believe He would have me do that.

Quoting KrissyKC:

Even as a somewhat consern that highly opposes what the school teaches, I would prayerfully consider how God wanted me to proceed and would make my decisions as God led me to.

I mean, in my own mind, I forsee that situation being a battleground I'm willing to die on... but if the Lord told me to take a different approach, who am I to argue?

Yes, I feel very strongly that there is a lot of "indoctrination" within the school (and yes, I'm aware that some people feel that's just what we are doing by homeschooling from a Biblical world view.)  However, that's probably off topic.

Quoting kirbymom:
Quoting KrissyKC:

I'd either flee or stand for our rights.   I don't think I'd put them back in school in that scenario willingly.

So, does this mean you would give it some consideration, at least?

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I do not HS for religious reasons, but I could leave the country easily. We already have a house in Mexico and my husband and kids are able to enter without any issues. I would just need a visa.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Wish I were in that same place.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

I do not HS for religious reasons, but I could leave the country easily. We already have a house in Mexico and my husband and kids are able to enter without any issues. I would just need a visa.

Tal0n
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 4:29 PM

. . .

There might be blood.  I tend to hit first and question later.  Not one of my better qualities.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Quoting Tal0n:

. . .

There might be blood.  I tend to hit first and question later.  Not one of my better qualities.

That could be more positive than not.
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 7:27 AM

I"m not HSing for religious reason and am not sure what I'd do if HSIng became illegal or just too many regulations and hurdles to make it feasable for folks. 

But I do really fear education is going that way. I do fear that homeschoolers and private and religious schools are going to be further regulated by gov't to the point that there is no choice at all anywhere.

I guess I'd do what I can to find a private school I could afford and liked. Religious schools are probably my second choice if HSing doesn't pan out, even though we are not particularly religious. I just believe in their missions and philosophy of education generally more-so than public, at this point in time!!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 13, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Isn't it just terrible that we know that the educational standards have degenerated to the point that we even have to wonder such thoughts in the first place?

Quoting Chasing3:

I"m not HSing for religious reason and am not sure what I'd do if HSIng became illegal or just too many regulations and hurdles to make it feasable for folks. 

But I do really fear education is going that way. I do fear that homeschoolers and private and religious schools are going to be further regulated by gov't to the point that there is no choice at all anywhere.

I guess I'd do what I can to find a private school I could afford and liked. Religious schools are probably my second choice if HSing doesn't pan out, even though we are not particularly religious. I just believe in their missions and philosophy of education generally more-so than public, at this point in time!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)