Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

......The best laid plan

Are you still following the plans you started with when you decided to homeschool OR did those plans go by the wayside and you are now doing something different ?

undefined

by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Replies (11-20):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM
That is great! You are doing better than I did then. lol I let my nerves get the better of me in the beginning.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

We are still pretty much sticking to the plan, but it's only been a couple of months.  I have changed some of the curriculum to work better, but overall my intentions and methods are what I thought they'd be.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Oct. 13, 2013 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I heard that from soo many people, I think it helped me to relax and not expect too much at the beginning! I was ready for things to not work, to make adjustments, and I am pretty prepared for the ups and downs (I think) thanks to all you veterans!

Quoting kirbymom:

That is great! You are doing better than I did then. lol I let my nerves get the better of me in the beginning.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

We are still pretty much sticking to the plan, but it's only been a couple of months.  I have changed some of the curriculum to work better, but overall my intentions and methods are what I thought they'd be.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Curricula changes, but no real method changes. We did nix many WTM methods, but weren't really wedded to them anyway, in favor of more traditional scholastic.

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Same method and general philosophy - traditional, rigorous, college preparatory.

Any majir tweaking?

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 5:36 PM

somewhat. I threw out the math textbook and bought a whole new math curriculum and are starting in first grade. Other things, I kind of had a rough idea on how they'd go and am sorta on track there. I've though I might spend a day doing some better planning to decide how to fit everything in that I figured we'd get to!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 13, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Oh you are doing just fine. Sometimes it can take a few tries to get to that mental picture we all have when thinking of our ideal homeschool lifestyle. I know it took me quite awhile to get even somewhere in the vicinity. lol

Quoting Chasing3:

somewhat. I threw out the math textbook and bought a whole new math curriculum and are starting in first grade. Other things, I kind of had a rough idea on how they'd go and am sorta on track there. I've though I might spend a day doing some better planning to decide how to fit everything in that I figured we'd get to!

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Yes.  But it's not just a dance school and it's not called "Fame".  She goes to the performing arts high school that the "Fame" movies, TV show, and play are based on (LaGuardia Arts).

Quoting kirbymom:

Sounds wonderful!
So your daughter is going to the famous dance school Fame?!? Am I correct in that?

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Quoting kirbymom:......The best laid plan

Are you still following the plans you started with when you decided to homeschool OR did those plans go by the wayside and you are now doing something different ?

My philosophy is the same (relaxed, delight-directed, w/some Charlotte Mason), but it's been implemented differently over the years.  

We started with a Charlotte Mason approach, trying to follow as many rules as we can, then when I realized the kids needed to deschool, I let them just "be" for a few months.  So much was getting done in these months, that I decided that full-on unschooling was our path.  

After several wonderful years of that, the kids asked me for more structure.  We researched various curricula and settled on Ambleside Online, which is a Charlotte Mason curriculum.  The kids have always loved that method's activities (narrations, copywork, dictation exercises, short lessons, afternoons free, nature study, classic literature, art study, etc) and even partook in those while unschooling.  

That lasted a few years (more for ds).   Dd then auditioned for and was accepted to the prestigious Fame high school in NYC and ds continued Ambleside.   Now dd is a senior there, and ds and I have moved away from Ambleside into our own creation.  We use quality programs that he loves (Lightning Literature, Saxon Math, K12 Human Odyssey, etc) and spend about 2-3 hours per day on those.  He still does narrations, dictation exercises, short lessons and has afternoons free.  He pursues his many interests for the majority of his day, as much of our unschooly ways have reappeared (the curriculum and structure are his choice and he enjoys it).  

As always, the month is peppered with great field trips and homeschool group classes (we just had a class on fossil skulls at the American Museum of Natural History, and over the next month we are seeing the Bodies exhibit and the Ripley's Believe it or Not exhibits in Times Square).  

We're both happy with how it's going so far.  Who knows?  Our homeschooling may change again some day.  We're both open to it!

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 7:04 PM

We are chagning some things up as I learn what DS does and doesn't like, what battles I want to have with him and which ones aren't worth it and where his major interests lie.  We have changed up our schedule and gotten more structured and we are changing up Math completely. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Ahh - I knew the school had another name but couldn't remember it. That is really great. Your daughter is really talented. Having 2 smart and talented kids is something I'm sure you are proud of.

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Yes.  But it's not just a dance school and it's not called "Fame".  She goes to the performing arts high school that the "Fame" movies, TV show, and play are based on (LaGuardia Arts).

Quoting kirbymom:Sounds wonderful!
So your daughter is going to the famous dance school Fame?!? Am I correct in that?

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

My philosophy is the same (relaxed, delight-directed, w/some Charlotte Mason), but it's been implemented differently over the years.  

We started with a Charlotte Mason approach, trying to follow as many rules as we can, then when I realized the kids needed to deschool, I let them just "be" for a few months.  So much was getting done in these months, that I decided that full-on unschooling was our path.  

After several wonderful years of that, the kids asked me for more structure.  We researched various curricula and settled on Ambleside Online, which is a Charlotte Mason curriculum.  The kids have always loved that method's activities (narrations, copywork, dictation exercises, short lessons, afternoons free, nature study, classic literature, art study, etc) and even partook in those while unschooling.  

That lasted a few years (more for ds).   Dd then auditioned for and was accepted to the prestigious Fame high school in NYC and ds continued Ambleside.   Now dd is a senior there, and ds and I have moved away from Ambleside into our own creation.  We use quality programs that he loves (Lightning Literature, Saxon Math, K12 Human Odyssey, etc) and spend about 2-3 hours per day on those.  He still does narrations, dictation exercises, short lessons and has afternoons free.  He pursues his many interests for the majority of his day, as much of our unschooly ways have reappeared (the curriculum and structure are his choice and he enjoys it).  

As always, the month is peppered with great field trips and homeschool group classes (we just had a class on fossil skulls at the American Museum of Natural History, and over the next month we are seeing the Bodies exhibit and the Ripley's Believe it or Not exhibits in Times Square).  

We're both happy with how it's going so far.  Who knows?  Our homeschooling may change again some day.  We're both open to it!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM

We change it up whenever we need to.  My middle has been difficult to teach to read!!  Seriously difficult!!!  So we change things up regularly and he's finally starting to read things (signs, decorations) outside the car as we drive!  So YAY, it's getting through.

BTW that is one of my favorite poems!!  I stitched it on a bookmark years ago!

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!  I actually have 3 smart and talented kids ;)   My oldest dd is almost 20.

Quoting kirbymom:

Ahh - I knew the school had another name but couldn't remember it. That is really great. Your daughter is really talented. Having 2 smart and talented kids is something I'm sure you are proud of.

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Quoting kirbymom:Sounds wonderful!

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)