Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is on the agenda this week?

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:40 AM
  • 18 Replies
Whatcha doing? 8)
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:00 AM

In school?

My tutoring student will continue to work on her multiplication tables in math and pronouns in grammar. Copy work for writing. I think I'll pull from Harry Potter for copy work - it'll keep her attention, lol.

My 4 year old son will practice writing Mm, Ii, and Aa for handwriting. Math: counting by 5's and 10's, review counting by 2's, 2 more/2 less, writing numbers 1-3. Phonics: continue CVC blending work, sight word work.

Otherwise, it's a pretty chill week. My eldest has been staying after school to do homework (although she's home sick today), so I don't pick her up until after 5. I have a "lady" appointment (GYN) this afternoon <---- exciting, eh? Lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:09 AM

LOL Have fun at that appointment! I can't think of anything I rather do than go visit the GYN.

I think about doing copy work with my kids but I never seem to do it. Do you think it really helps?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

In school?

My tutoring student will continue to work on her multiplication tables in math and pronouns in grammar. Copy work for writing. I think I'll pull from Harry Potter for copy work - it'll keep her attention, lol.

My 4 year old son will practice writing Mm, Ii, and Aa for handwriting. Math: counting by 5's and 10's, review counting by 2's, 2 more/2 less, writing numbers 1-3. Phonics: continue CVC blending work, sight word work.

Otherwise, it's a pretty chill week. My eldest has been staying after school to do homework (although she's home sick today), so I don't pick her up until after 5. I have a "lady" appointment (GYN) this afternoon <---- exciting, eh? Lol.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Yes, I think it sincerely helps. It's the only writing we do until grade 3 or so - or until the child has a good grasp on sentence structure, punctuation, and grammar. My tutoring student is still working on nouns and proper spacing, so she is still doing copy work; copying correct usage, in context, is (imo) the best way to learn to write properly, while still maturing.

Quoting mem82:

LOL Have fun at that appointment! I can't think of anything I rather do than go visit the GYN.

I think about doing copy work with my kids but I never seem to do it. Do you think it really helps?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

In school?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Having fun! We have a zoology class, 3 co-ops, an character analysis, history to read, science, flight guest speaker, math to explore, and just starting on some architecture studies(my son's idea). Probably other things as well. We also have karate this week as well. We starting with k'nex bridges for architecture. We will also be starting on studying the Arabian ostrich. I have some ostrich eggs to buy this week. I am also working on our 9 by 6 foot map of the US.
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Ds will be finishing up Saxon 7/6 (he's so ready to start Algebra 1/2), continuing with Tom Sawyer, learning more about Sumerian writing, and starting a unit on applied science and technology.

On Thursday we'll be visiting the Body Worlds exhibit in Times Square.

And like very week, he has scouts and 3 classes of Muay Thai boxing.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:41 AM

We're a sick household today, so I'm trying to figure out how to not lose as much time.  :)  I wanna push on, but c'mon, if we're sick, we're sick.  Probably some Bill Nye, weather observations, some read alouds, a little more on estimations and graphs.  Maybe that's enough....

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:26 AM

DS is with my sister this week visiting family, but she is working on things with him.  Mostly fun stuff like learning about the state they are in and books and games for math.  Plus continuing verbs in English and space in science. 

Ecoseem
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Surviving.

Secondary tasks are camping, helping ds with his writing interests, getting my homework done and attempt get to the laundromat.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM

We're going to the library tomorrow (today is a day off) to pick out our next science subject. I'm excited to see what the kids are going to choose! I'm already an expert on Goliath Bird Eating Spiders,lol.

I found this new grammar website that I think DD will like. The other ones are a bit too babyish for her but too advanced for ds. And I'm going to try and fit dd's math lessons in somewhere. We're still finding our rhythm.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Agenda???   I'm supposed to have an agenda??? It's only two months into the school year and we barely managed to do 2 days worth of academics last week...  who needs an agenda???

Ok, well, in reality.. we have school work all day today, (to make up for time lost), they are up for the challenge it seems, though, because they begged to do their NaNOWriMo workbook (the writing challenge for the month of November)...   They were so studious at getting ready and started this morning, and I'm so low on food in the house, that I have oatmeal cookies in the oven as our belated breakfast.  Oh well, it's oatmeal, right?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN