Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Method Snobs

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:01 AM
  • 13 Replies

I go to a large homeschool gym class on Mondays. We have tons of kids and moms and, of course, everyone does homeschooling their own way. There are a few ladies who are, shall we say, opinionated about who is doing it right and who is doing it wrong. The funny thing is it's coming from all sides of the coin.

We have a pretty hardcore Unschooling mom who can't mention what they are doing tomorrow without mentioning how it was ONLY her child's idea and 'Thank God, I don't make my kids follow the stifling doctrine that SO many homeschoolers do. My kids and I laugh when we leave about how so and so is worried about a test. Tests! We're homeschoolers. We're not supposed to do tests.' or 'For April Fool's Day, I bought the kids workbooks. HAHAHA!'

I sat in the nursery last year with a woman who compulsively listed all the books she got from the library for her Kinder. They were extremely Charlotte Mason.If you weren't, she basically thought your child was going to be illiterate. LOL

We have 2 moms who spend the whole time talking about what level of Abeka their kids are on and how the ONLY way to get to into college was Abeka. "Can you imagine not being able to afford a DECENT curriculum like Abeka? Do people actually think they can teach that kid with those dollar store workbooks?Ha! Whatever!"

Oh, and we have a handful of Classical Conversation ladies that spend the entire time following people around trying to get them to join and explain how CC is the only way to turn out a doctor or scientist. LOL

Do you know any Method Snobs? How do you deal with them?

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:52 AM
3 moms liked this

smile and nod, people, smile and nod...

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I avoid the crazy people wherever they might be. There was one at a teen hang out who was very into, "I'm NOT homeschooling, I'm Unschooling." Upon questioning I found out she mostly dragged her kids with her while she did what she wanted. From then one I avoided her and her poor, socially stunted kids.

My kids liked hers though. So that was nice.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Wow, I have yet to run into this.  But I don't even know what I would say or how I would react, lol.  All the homeschoolers I have met so far have barely even talked about curriculum, lol.  But really, it's like 3 people in real life I have talked to...I'm sure we will run into more as we go!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Exactly,lol.

Quoting KrissyKC:

smile and nod, people, smile and nod...

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Thank goodness I haven't met one yet.  BUT I'll bet when one pops up, it pulls others out of the woodwork.  There are people who are just fine with what they are doing, but if others start to say boo about it, they just have to join in the debate, ya know?

jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM

In real life I just stick my son on them.  He will talk the ear off anyone and tell more than you wanted to know on any subject. (J/K) Personally I have only encountered snobs online.  We alre almost unschoolers and sometimes I am surprised what some homeschoolers say to me online.  Sometimes I feel people are more accepting of other methods until you mention unschooling.  I don't let it phase me though.  I see as their problem more than my own.  

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I think the ones that are that hardcore are trying to convince themselves more then they are trying to convince others. Kind of the mind set of if I can get others to do it to then that validates it for me!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I would just smile and nod.  I use so many different things it is not funny.  Plus I change my mind about 10 times a year.

coala
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I enjoy meeting moms who do things differntly than we do.  I always think that maybe we can learn something from each other.  I can also say that I have not any "snobs" in that department.  I think we all have our kids best interests in mind and I hope that we can all turn out amazing people who contribute to society as a whole.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)