Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you do every page in a math book or workbook?

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 4:31 PM
  • 18 Replies
So I'm curious if you skip around for math. I like the mastery approach to math but wonder if I'm beating a dead horse. How do you know when they have mastered it? Do you skip around?
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Mmm, we won't do every problem if it's something that we have down pat. Cole gets easily distracted, though, so we might do every problem spread over two days or so.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 5:03 PM

So we've been doing Life of Fred, and we follow the book.  BUT, I've been taking a break to work on math facts and to have some fun with candy math (graphing, estimating, eating....).  When they were in ps I was always told that if they knew 70-80% on a test (pre-test), that was enough to be considered mastery because anyone can make a mistake or have an off day.  With children who are very negative about remaining on a subject beyond when they grasped it, I am so with just moving on.  For me, it's not worth the battle to have every problem worked out, every check box checked.  Not.Worth.It.  BUT, I also have kiddos that I have to sit with them and work it through with them, several times, before I think they're really on their way.  So my answer is a wishy washy, you'll know when you know.

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 5:07 PM

We don't do every problem in a section and some sections we have skipped entirely.  I do the review in the back and if he gets over 85% right we move on.  A couple times this happened while we were in the middle of the chapter and twice now he did the review first and we didn't even have to do that chapter.  He is one who gets bored and frustrated doing something he knows over and over, so we just move on because it is so NOT worth the fight if he already knows it.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 5:09 PM

We do Math U See.  We do the first page (A) together, the second (B) and fourth (D) he does on his own. Then he teaches me how to do the problem using (E).   Then if he doesn't have it down, he does (C) and possibly (F).  If he does know it, he skips (C) and (F) and does the test.  Then he does (G) Application and Enrichment for a review and to tie it to real life.  Most of the time they skip (C) and (F), so the whole lesson takes 5 days, but if they don't have it it can take as long as 8 days.

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I have my girls do the even problems in their workbooks. If that's no issue we scoot along, but if they struggle I give more explanation/examples and have them do a few more problems to make sure it jives.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 14, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Pretty much this...

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We do Math U See.  We do the first page (A) together, the second (B) and fourth (D) he does on his own. Then he teaches me how to do the problem using (E).   Then if he doesn't have it down, he does (C) and possibly (F).  If he does know it, he skips (C) and (F) and does the test.  Then he does (G) Application and Enrichment for a review and to tie it to real life.  Most of the time they skip (C) and (F), so the whole lesson takes 5 days, but if they don't have it it can take as long as 8 days.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Cool!  It's nice to see others do it the way I do.  Very reassuring!

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Pretty much this...

Quoting bluerooffarm:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Ok... I think I'm having my kids do too much math.   We use MUS, too.  

Up until recently, they just sat down and did it all... watched video, did lesson, and tested the next day before watching the next video.   So they were doing one whole lesson per day instead of per week or two.

Now that it's getting tougher, they move more at their own pace.   We do let them try to test out if they know the subject really well.   In this case, they do the first page for practice, skim the lesson book to see if they reviewed any other concepts, and take the test.   If they get at least a 90%, they can skip the work except we like to have them do the A&E page, too.

If they get less than 90%, then they do the lesson and we use one of the other pages for a "test" instead.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:01 PM
We do mus and do 1 lesson per week. If he has mastered it we go on to the next lesson.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I'll skip things altogether if I know she's mastered it.  Or if we are into it and I can tell that she's getting really bored with it or making jokes, that's how I usually know she's got it.  Moving on...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN