Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are you happy with your curriculum?

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 6:41 PM
  • 19 Replies
Why or why not?
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 6:43 PM

For the most part. I'm using a mix of textbooks and resources.

For my own sanity, and personality, we are switching Nico over to a more structured program (Seton) in a month or so. Not because I dislike what we're using, but because I do better with a structured program and I have a tutoring student (who is older) and she takes a good deal of time.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Were pretty happy with the programs we're using.  It's a nice combo of good stuff (Saxon, Apologia, K12 Human Odyssey, Runkle's Geography, and Lightning Lit) that ds loves and I find fun and effective.  If there was something either of us really didnt like I'd certainly change it (after giving it a good shot, of course).

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I am happy with everything except Math Mammoth.  I personally love it, my son hates it.  It is black and white and too repetitive for him.  So we are going to switch that up.  Everything else is working fine.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:44 PM

We are all a little ADD and have issues with sticking with ONE curriculum, I think.   We like to flip around and do different things.

We are very ecclectic.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:48 PM

oh, but I guess what we are using is great.   We really like MUS, and probably will stick with it for a while.

We are still using Rod & Staff English... it works for us.   But we switch up with a variety of other stuff so we don't get too mundane and lose interest.   I recently ordered a seriously hard-core text book for literature.   I think it will be a change up with Rod & Staff.   I won't stop teaching R&S completely, though... since I have 4th-7th grade already downstairs, but I'm trying to switch them to teaching the older two English TOGETHER.. so I'm going to start blending a variety of resources... hopefully...

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:58 PM

LOVE it!!

RightStart Math is abacus based and game based.  I think this is SO important.  I loved math and am a CPA and I just think math with worksheets is so boring and frustrating.  Yes, you have to do some but there are better ways!

Handwriting Without Tears - super fun, lots of creative ways to do the same thing (build letters) without being boring.  The best part for us has been the tiny crayons and fun worksheets.

Apologia Astronomy - my 4 yr old LOVES this book.  I love this book. It's Christian based but coming from someone who does not homeschool for religious reasons it's not overly done.  I actually like how God is presented in this book so far.  Fun easy experiements and very easy to understand.  We have the Jr. workbook but have not used it yet because DD is just too young for that portion.

We also do Magic School Bus DVDs and monthly science kits.

Other than that, we are just reading lots of books, doing some reading games from Lakeshore Learning stores, read-along books from the library and lots of DVDs from the library (Little Pim French, Countries Around the World, etc).

I'm looking into History of the World and All About Spelling as well.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:42 AM
Yes, we love everything that we are doing! We are very eclectic.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this

We like everything we are doing right now.  We love MUS.  Pretty much everything else I pull together myself, so what's not to like?  LOL

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:39 AM

We are enjoying everything we're using.  One daughter is in 3rd, and the other in 6th.  We use Math In Focus, Harcourt Horizons Social Studies, Science Fusion, Reading Street, Prentice Hall's Writing and Grammar, 'newspapers' from Studies Weekly, Harcourt Health and Fitness for 3rd, Holt's Decisions for Health for 6th, Ready to Use P.E. Activities, Art Express, and Share the Music.

I also have games and other books from "The Mailbox" for math, language arts, extra craft books, etc.

Most were purchased in great used condition from Amazon or eBay. 

Do you like your curriculum Julia?     

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:12 AM
I do love everything for the most part, but I'm still torn on History and Science. I like the concept and layout of both, but there is still something that isn't quite right for us and I haven't been able to pin point it exactly. We're using History Odyssey, and I keep telling myself to hold off til we get to the next level and see if I like it better then, but in the mean time, it doesn't really seem to be sticking. I tried using more of Story of the World's stuff this year since Level 1 uses that, but even that is leaving a void somewhere that I can't pinpoint, and my daughter isn't learning much. Science we're using Real Science 4 Kids, and I hate that the teachers manual is only the "answer key" to the lab book, and even then the answers are mostly "answers may vary." Which is little to no help to me unless the answer is super obvious. If you do a lab incorrectly though, you're just crap outta luck. Again, I wanted to hold out til we got to the next level (which would be next year), but I don't want to spend all the money on it just to find out the teachers manual is the same, and we have another let down of a science year. I love the labs that go with each chapter, I just wish the teachers manual was a little more in depth so that if my kids are lacking in understanding, I can explain it better to them. Some of the topics covered are things that I have issues with explaining in simple terms because I didn't learn it til high school. I know I can just go look it up, but if I'm paying that much on a curriculum that has a teacher's manual...I kinda don't want to have to make the effort to look it up... I just haven't found any replacements that seem like they'll fit us yet either though. Everything else seems to work great. MUS, HWOT, AAS & AAR, Mosdos Press, Write Shop Jr and Wordsmith Apprentice
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)