Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are you happy with your curriculum?

Why or why not?
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Replies (11-19):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:53 AM
How are you liking Mosdos?

Quoting No_Difference:

I do love everything for the most part, but I'm still torn on History and Science. I like the concept and layout of both, but there is still something that isn't quite right for us and I haven't been able to pin point it exactly.
We're using History Odyssey, and I keep telling myself to hold off til we get to the next level and see if I like it better then, but in the mean time, it doesn't really seem to be sticking. I tried using more of Story of the World's stuff this year since Level 1 uses that, but even that is leaving a void somewhere that I can't pinpoint, and my daughter isn't learning much.
Science we're using Real Science 4 Kids, and I hate that the teachers manual is only the "answer key" to the lab book, and even then the answers are mostly "answers may vary." Which is little to no help to me unless the answer is super obvious. If you do a lab incorrectly though, you're just crap outta luck. Again, I wanted to hold out til we got to the next level (which would be next year), but I don't want to spend all the money on it just to find out the teachers manual is the same, and we have another let down of a science year. I love the labs that go with each chapter, I just wish the teachers manual was a little more in depth so that if my kids are lacking in understanding, I can explain it better to them. Some of the topics covered are things that I have issues with explaining in simple terms because I didn't learn it til high school. I know I can just go look it up, but if I'm paying that much on a curriculum that has a teacher's manual...I kinda don't want to have to make the effort to look it up...
I just haven't found any replacements that seem like they'll fit us yet either though. Everything else seems to work great. MUS, HWOT, AAS & AAR, Mosdos Press, Write Shop Jr and Wordsmith Apprentice

lucsch
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Yes, I love it because it works. We use HOD, which covers most subjects, with CLE for math and CLP for spelling, instead of their recommendations.  We alternate ACE PACES for Literature & Creative Writing, grade 6, with HOD's DITHOR. We add in Nebel's science and Apologia science, as well as, some challenging math word problems. We use Hey Andrew! for Greek. We do additional writing instruction, too, which right now is a Scholastic ebook on writing good paragraphs and making outlines.I also have Four Square writing and IEW All Things Fun & Fascinating in the line-up. I have a couple of books for art appreciation. I give her lessons in piano and flute, for music. I know that sounds like a crazy amount, but it works for us!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I like it, but I'm also overwhelmed by it, and it seems to be very classroom-ish.
The kids get their book with all the reading selections in it, and then the teachers manual is broken into two books, half of the reading book is in the first book, the other half in the other. It has the story in it with bits underlined to point out different literary devices and the climax, plot, etc. It also has questions on the bottom of each page correlating to the page that was just read to gauge comprehension.
I almost feel too overwhelmed sometimes as we're reading through it just because it gives SO much extra. It also has extra bits of information for some stories or extra projects, and the answer key to the workbook in the back. The work book typically has two comprehension worksheets per story, two graphic organizers (really it's just one, but it goes on two pages), and sometimes there are two vocab worksheets. You can get the test cd which has vocab (if the story had vocab) and comprehension tests and those answers, but it is not mandatory.

It costs a bit up front, but It's only going to cost the price of the workbook for my younger one, which is only like $15... so that was a good trade off.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

How are you liking Mosdos?

Quoting No_Difference:

I do love everything for the most part, but I'm still torn on History and Science. I like the concept and layout of both, but there is still something that isn't quite right for us and I haven't been able to pin point it exactly.
We're using History Odyssey, and I keep telling myself to hold off til we get to the next level and see if I like it better then, but in the mean time, it doesn't really seem to be sticking. I tried using more of Story of the World's stuff this year since Level 1 uses that, but even that is leaving a void somewhere that I can't pinpoint, and my daughter isn't learning much.
Science we're using Real Science 4 Kids, and I hate that the teachers manual is only the "answer key" to the lab book, and even then the answers are mostly "answers may vary." Which is little to no help to me unless the answer is super obvious. If you do a lab incorrectly though, you're just crap outta luck. Again, I wanted to hold out til we got to the next level (which would be next year), but I don't want to spend all the money on it just to find out the teachers manual is the same, and we have another let down of a science year. I love the labs that go with each chapter, I just wish the teachers manual was a little more in depth so that if my kids are lacking in understanding, I can explain it better to them. Some of the topics covered are things that I have issues with explaining in simple terms because I didn't learn it til high school. I know I can just go look it up, but if I'm paying that much on a curriculum that has a teacher's manual...I kinda don't want to have to make the effort to look it up...
I just haven't found any replacements that seem like they'll fit us yet either though. Everything else seems to work great. MUS, HWOT, AAS & AAR, Mosdos Press, Write Shop Jr and Wordsmith Apprentice

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
lovelylady83
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I <3 my curriculum!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:43 AM
I love everything but History. Mainly because my kids hate history. I dont.feel I can cover everything without a textbook so we.do switch it up with documentaries and field.trips.but they hate the reading of.it.

I am in a similar boat with Science. I dont.feel we.would get.all the important stuff down without a huideline. We devote one day to a Science in a Nutshell kit which helps but it.just isn't as exciting as I would like.

I love MUS ...two of the three are doing well on it..
I like Teaching Textbooks because it works great for DS2 who has a mild learning disability and it.grades for.him which he likes. No waiting on Mom! LOL

We like our ASL - it is all pulled together. Flashcards, signing time, college.text, etc.

All About Spelling -fabulous!
Easy Grammar - Excellent!
Write Source - wonderful

We also love our geography (only through 6th grade) Maps, Globes and Graphs.
QueenCreole313
by Julia on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:13 AM
I was looking at write source. What do you like about it? Do your kids like it!

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I love everything but History. Mainly because my kids hate history. I dont.feel I can cover everything without a textbook so we.do switch it up with documentaries and field.trips.but they hate the reading of.it.

I am in a similar boat with Science. I dont.feel we.would get.all the important stuff down without a huideline. We devote one day to a Science in a Nutshell kit which helps but it.just isn't as exciting as I would like.

I love MUS ...two of the three are doing well on it..

I like Teaching Textbooks because it works great for DS2 who has a mild learning disability and it.grades for.him which he likes. No waiting on Mom! LOL

We like our ASL - it is all pulled together. Flashcards, signing time, college.text, etc.

All About Spelling -fabulous!

Easy Grammar - Excellent!

Write Source - wonderful

We also love our geography (only through 6th grade) Maps, Globes and Graphs.
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:49 AM

somewhat. It's turned out to be more of "replicate school at home" than I thought it'd be - yet trying to be more flexible and with supplementation. On the one hand, workbooks and such are simple to use. ON the other, I wish it was more super-fun, engaging projects. I wish I had more really cool, hands-on project ideas and great reading lists. I keep assembling projects like this myself by doing lots of google research. I guess I'm a tad lazy too since I want it all handed to me! I feel a little lost and unstructured with trying to develop the cool projects myself. I switched math completely to MathUSee and like it A LOT, but it's a little tough since that is a big problem area for ds so we are waaayyy behind in grade level - so it's difficult for me to see and admit that.

amanda.lyn
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Yes, I am happy (for now anyway). I homeschool a preschooler and a ninth grader. I also work part time. My time is tight. So, I use switched on schoolhouse for 5 of my 9th graders subjects, then teaching textbooks for math, both kids take gym at out local community college, and my little guy does before five in a row, plus dollar store workbooks. It's working great right now!
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:25 PM
For the most part we're happy. I tend to have the "grass is always greener" syndrome, so I'm always looking for different things, but I've stuck with one thing since August, a record for me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)