Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why can't I just be OK with this!!!

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:03 PM
  • 11 Replies

Some may know from other posts, but I homeschool my 1st grader and have 2 kids in a private school.  For me this is the easiest way because I work 4 days a week, but I can't get any peace about my oldest being in school (my younger in school LOVES it and is fine).  My oldest's daily work is SO boring at school!  Write these words 6 times, copy this long poem, do this worksheet, do that worksheet, look up these definitions, write these spanish words 3 times, listen to some science teaching then take notes from your textbook, blah, blah, blah.  It's the same stinkin routine EVERY day!  I've never heard about an activity, project, story writing, poem writing, anything.  He has always hated school, but this is torture.  I don't know if I could meet the 3rd grade demand at home, or if we would move as quicklly through curriculum as they do in school, but even with me working 4 days a week, homeschooling would HAVE to be better then what he deals with now.  Anything would be better then this repetative mess!  I wish I could find peace about this and just let it be, but I can't.  My heart breaks for him.  I'm not sure if that's just blowing things out of proportion or what, but I'm not OK with how things are now....yet the teachers make me think I'm crazy for thinking this way.   :(

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QueenCreole313
by Julia on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:14 PM
1 mom liked this
You can work and homeschool!
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:28 PM
2 moms liked this

I would listen to your gut & bring him home!

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

This!! Mom knows best!

Quoting usmom3:

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, if he is that bored in school, bring him home.  It isn't working for him. 

Quoting usmom3:

TidewaterClan
by Kate on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Bring him home if you're up for it. School will be more worthwhile, fun, and meaningful again.

Are there any other private or charter schools to choose from if you're not physically/mentally ready?
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Not only does homeschooling sound like the best option, if he is in a private school that could save you so much money too.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this
If your money is going to a privateschool that hr hates than maybe by pulling him out you can also stop.working, or work less, or hirr a housekeeper to free.up more time.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:09 AM

I would pull him.  You do not have to do the same as public school.  Khan academy is a great math for 3rd grade, or teaching textbooks and that is pretty much independant work. 

Then throw in some classic lit and grammer from any kind of workbook and you have a basis of a curriculum. 

If you want to continue Spanish I have websites, just PM me.  They are all free. 

History can be studied through lit and there are so many ideas for science out there that are free or cheap. 

Then you can use all the private school money that goes into his schooling to give you a little more flexibility schedule wise.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this
The are some great ideas for using the private school money...another is to hire a tutor or a mothers helper that would be willing to supervise some schoolwork while you are at work, maybe even just one day a week and you school on your days off. Or hire someone to cook a couple meals a week or clean. You could also use some of the money to buy a good curriculum that would have things mostly ready for you.

I say go with your gut, you know better than anyone else what is best for your children.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Have you ever seen time4learning.com?   Or maybe something similar?

It costs $20 per month for the first kid, $15 for each additional.   I don't think it's super terrific, but it's not bad.  Also, I added extra math practice, grammar, and we pulled books from the library to enjoy and do projects about the various science and social studies topics that they presented.

I have a friend that used to JUST use it, and not add anything extra.  I guess it's all a matter of choice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)