Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Why can't I just be OK with this!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

Some may know from other posts, but I homeschool my 1st grader and have 2 kids in a private school.  For me this is the easiest way because I work 4 days a week, but I can't get any peace about my oldest being in school (my younger in school LOVES it and is fine).  My oldest's daily work is SO boring at school!  Write these words 6 times, copy this long poem, do this worksheet, do that worksheet, look up these definitions, write these spanish words 3 times, listen to some science teaching then take notes from your textbook, blah, blah, blah.  It's the same stinkin routine EVERY day!  I've never heard about an activity, project, story writing, poem writing, anything.  He has always hated school, but this is torture.  I don't know if I could meet the 3rd grade demand at home, or if we would move as quicklly through curriculum as they do in school, but even with me working 4 days a week, homeschooling would HAVE to be better then what he deals with now.  Anything would be better then this repetative mess!  I wish I could find peace about this and just let it be, but I can't.  My heart breaks for him.  I'm not sure if that's just blowing things out of proportion or what, but I'm not OK with how things are now....yet the teachers make me think I'm crazy for thinking this way.   :(

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Replies (11-11):
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I'll tell you that I really believe if all a kid did was read, read, read all sorts of genres and topics, and did some basic math, they'd learn more than a year in public school. Add in a few writing assignments and find a couple of fun projects, and you'll be great!

Of course the teachers think you're crazy. Their livelyhood depends on the general public believeing they are experts and that public education is sound. Plus, they actually believe they are experts and are doing the latest, greatest stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)