Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Isn't this a little too much? ((edit))

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:49 AM
  • 8 Replies

I am homeschooling...and I do a lesson plan every day covering every topic we work until we are done (breaking for snacks and lunch sometimes) but this is what his teacher (that I write to and check in with weekly) said is what should be happening...

Here are guidelines recommended by the BC Ministry of Educ.:

Language Arts = 7 1/2 hours per week (or 1 hour & 30 min. daily)

Math = 5 hours per week (or 1 hour per day) Science = 2 1/2 hours per week (or 30 min per day)

Social Studies 2 1/2 hours per week (or 30 min per day)

Fine Arts = 2 1/2 hours per week (or 30 min per day)

PE = 2 1/2 hours per week (or 30 min per day)

HCE = 1 1/2 hours per week (or 15 min per day) ________________________________________________

Total = 285 minutes per week or about 4 1/2 - 5 hours per day (so depending on your length of snack and lunch break you could be working from 9:00-3:00)

How much do you do? We don't do Science everyday but every second day, I guess its close to that....just seems odd drawn out like that... BTW that is the BC Guidelines for Public schools....

((EDIT: Okay I guess I can see counting everything I was just thinking seat work....still new to this...))

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 15, 2013 at 3:03 AM
It depends how you count it...we do on average 4 hrs a day.

PE is walking the dog, gymnastics practice, karate. Gym and karate are 1 1/2 hrs 2x a week plus time they practice at home. We always exceed the required.

Language arts - that includes things like writing thank you notes for gifts, sunday school/confirmation/ boy scouts

Science is the same- taking a hike and learning nature,

We count Boy Scouts a lot. dS1 did the personal management merit badge. All about money management, stocks, bonds, etc. That counted as a half year high school course. Both boys will be starting personal fitness soon which is all PE.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:48 AM
We do about 3-4hours per day. It is not all seat work. I would play it by ear and see what works for you.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:06 AM

We work from 7:30-12:30 each day which works out to 25 hours each week, not counting PE because we do 3 hours of soccer each week and other PE activities in the afternoon.  Adding up their times, I get 24 hours of work, we do 25.....so yeah it seems about right to me.

We work from breakfast to lunch with a snack while we work time called "food for thought."  So you can still do it in only the morning hours.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:44 AM

It doesn't seem like too much to me, at all. Well, not for grades 3 and up.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:46 AM

We have traditional-style classes for 4-4.5 hours a day, then add on reading time/LA for our nightly story, hiking in the woods for PE/Science, and I keep plenty of craft supplies on hand for additional art. 

That list looks daunting but if you include everything you're actually doing during the day it will work out.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:00 AM

We usually complete between 3 1/2 - 7 hours daily. However, that can include documentaries, practices for clubs and events they are involved in, practicing their instruments, free reading, jumping on the neighbor's trampoline, riding bikes, going for walks... computer games (especially if educational)... Math: example Teach lesson for about 10-15 minutes, do 20-30 minutes of work or assessments, play math games online for about 20 minutes... you have an hour pr more.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:06 AM
We do school from 10 - 3 every day. With us though, there is usually a learning conversatiob for a couple of hours. Not that we try to make that happen it just happens. lol A lot of laughing and discovering goes on while school is still happening.
kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM

We do about 4 hours a day, that includes documentaries, games and arts.  We walk and do other activities for PE in the evenings.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN