Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

"King of the Wind" by Marguerite Henry -&- What were your favorite books growing up?

Posted by   + Show Post

This was one of my favorite books when I was young, so I borrowed it from the library the other day to read as our nighttime story.

We polished it off in just three nights!  It's 173 pages, and includes plenty of beautiful illustrations so isn't terribly long.  The second night we were up past 11:00 to read 'just one more chapter!'  DH finally asked if we were ever going to sleep, LOL.  They're usually out by 9:30, but who am I to stop a good story?  :)

Have you read any good family books lately?  What were your favorites when you were young?

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Replies (51-56):
TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Oh no!  I've read all of those but Redwall; that would go great with their Mouse Guard game (sort of like Dungeons and Dragons, only mice, cats, owls, etc.).  The crisp fall air makes it the perfect time for Little House and we were just about to start those.

What kinds of books does she like?

Quoting No_Difference:

I loved Little House on the Prarie, Narnia, Redwall series, and Harry Potter. So far my daughter hates all of the above.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Jamie hates books with a passion. I can usually get her to read this fairy series we found at the library
Riley loves any book. He'll bring me an encyclopedia to read if I don't catch him lol.
A book that both kids enjoy as long as I'm reading it outloud to them  is A Whole Nother Story by Dr. Cuthbert Soup. There are three stories in the series that I know of. It has a whole bunch of silliness in it.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Oh no!  I've read all of those but Redwall; that would go great with their Mouse Guard game (sort of like Dungeons and Dragons, only mice, cats, owls, etc.).  The crisp fall air makes it the perfect time for Little House and we were just about to start those.

Quoting No_Difference:

I loved Little House on the Prarie, Narnia, Redwall series, and Harry Potter. So far my daughter hates all of the above.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 5:03 PM

That's good that you've found at least one series she likes.

LOL - nothing beats an encyclopedia to spark curiosity about the world!

Whole Nother Story sounds like a hoot!  Mine love stories that are just goofy, and we could definitely use some silliness to end the day. 

Quoting No_Difference:

Jamie hates books with a passion. I can usually get her to read this fairy series we found at the library
Riley loves any book. He'll bring me an encyclopedia to read if I don't catch him lol.
A book that both kids enjoy as long as I'm reading it outloud to them  is A Whole Nother Story by Dr. Cuthbert Soup. There are three stories in the series that I know of. It has a whole bunch of silliness in it.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting No_Difference:

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:50 PM

We're on "another Whole Nother Story" as told by (the incomparable) Dr. Cutherbt Soup right now. To give you an idea of the silliness in it, this is the inside jacket: "The plan was simple. Ethan Cheeseman, along with his three smart, polite, and relatively odor-free children, would travel back in time to end a family curse and save their mother. Nowt hat the LVR (a super-secret time machien) is working, it's easy peasy. Except they didn't account for on basic rule of science: Murphy's Law - if something can go wrong it will. The LVR crashes, with a meteor-sized hole in its roof. They've made it to 1668, but they're stuck in the middle of nowhere, without a way back home, and someone thinks they're weetches-er, witches. Could it get any worse? How about when they encounter a pirate ship, a haunted castle, and two mysterious visitors - one there to rescue the family, the ohter, mm...not so much. Our trusty narrator, Dr. Soup, has a ton of unsolicited advice for readers but not a lot to say to help the Cheesemans. Just this one thing: Good Luck." The uncolicited advice is usually a hoot.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Whole Nother Story sounds like a hoot!  Mine love stories that are just goofy, and we could definitely use some silliness to end the day. 

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting No_Difference:

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL!  The unsolicited advice sounds like a must read!  I will request that from the library right after I get off of here.  Thanks!  Like I said, we really could use some pure silliness. :)

Quoting No_Difference:

We're on "another Whole Nother Story" as told by (the incomparable) Dr. Cutherbt Soup right now. To give you an idea of the silliness in it, this is the inside jacket: "The plan was simple. Ethan Cheeseman, along with his three smart, polite, and relatively odor-free children, would travel back in time to end a family curse and save their mother. Nowt hat the LVR (a super-secret time machien) is working, it's easy peasy. Except they didn't account for on basic rule of science: Murphy's Law - if something can go wrong it will. The LVR crashes, with a meteor-sized hole in its roof. They've made it to 1668, but they're stuck in the middle of nowhere, without a way back home, and someone thinks they're weetches-er, witches. Could it get any worse? How about when they encounter a pirate ship, a haunted castle, and two mysterious visitors - one there to rescue the family, the ohter, mm...not so much. Our trusty narrator, Dr. Soup, has a ton of unsolicited advice for readers but not a lot to say to help the Cheesemans. Just this one thing: Good Luck." The uncolicited advice is usually a hoot.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting No_Difference:

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Quoting TidewaterClan:

That looks like a fantastic story line!  I've never read it, but my girls love adventure stories and this sounds like a good one.  Is this sad too (with the children broken up) or is it mostly action?

Quoting tuffymama:This post just inspired me to order The Lion's Paw from Amazon. It was a favorite back in elementary school, and I'm thrilled it's in print again. I can't wait to read it to LO!

Sorry, we've been so busy here! The story has a little sadness, but as I recall, it was just enough to engage a young listener. The action and adventure far outweigh the panic and worry, but I wouldn't have read or given it to my little sister until she was maybe eight or nine years old, because she was so sensitive. "Normal" kids can take it. ;0) Now, if I can just get through our school stack so we can start this one!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)