Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

"King of the Wind" by Marguerite Henry -&- What were your favorite books growing up?

Posted by   + Show Post

This was one of my favorite books when I was young, so I borrowed it from the library the other day to read as our nighttime story.

We polished it off in just three nights!  It's 173 pages, and includes plenty of beautiful illustrations so isn't terribly long.  The second night we were up past 11:00 to read 'just one more chapter!'  DH finally asked if we were ever going to sleep, LOL.  They're usually out by 9:30, but who am I to stop a good story?  :)

Have you read any good family books lately?  What were your favorites when you were young?

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Replies (11-20):
TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Phantom does sound cool!  The girls will like that too!

My 3rd grade teacher got the class hooked on Mrs. P!  It's time I crack those open for the girls.

Quoting kmath:

LOL, I forgot how much I LOVE Mrs Piggle-Wiggle till we started reading it this summer!  I have Wrinkle in Time but need to get the rest of the series.  I hope to read them to my son soon.  Phantom Tollbooth is another great one.  D and I just started reading it together!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Those are fantastic!  Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle rocks!  Wrinkle in Time is a book that was DEFINITELY better as a book and not a movie!

Quoting kmath:

Wrinkle in Time, Mrs. Piggle-wiggle (which I am reading with the kid I take care of), Encyclopedia Brown, Babysitters Club and tons more. 

coala
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I love that quote!  It rings so true.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That does look like a great read (from the Amazon description).  Added to our list, along with Six Silver Spoons.  Thank you!  Charlotte and Baby Sitters are wonderful stories as well.

LOL on the Encyclopedia and Dictionary!  I could spend hours with our Britannica set!  I'm hoping my girls love reading (for fun) too when they're older. 

To read a book for the first time is to make an acquaintance with a new friend; to read it for a second time is to meet an old one.  ~Chinese Saying

Quoting coala:

Maniac McGee was one of my absolute favorites in 5th grade.  I read it about 20 times.  The book got lost in a move and I have been so sad that I haven't been able to replace it.  Charlotte's Web was another that I read several times, Six Silver Spoons, and I couldn't get enough of Baby Sitters Little Sisters books.

All I can say is that I hope my girls enjoy reading as much as I did.  I as also the crazy kid that read the encyclopedia and dictionary for fun.

Edit:  I just broke down and bought the book I have been missing for years.  Super excited to read it when it gets here.

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I loved The Giver, and Great Expectations. It took a second read through of Great Expectations to get into it. I also loved The Odyssey.

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh and I was a HUGE Potterhead growing up. I still am.

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 8:01 PM

One of my best buddy's favorite book is The Giver.  I'll have to read it since you love it too!  David Copperfield was great, but I had to take it slow to soak it in; Dickens definitely isn't a breeze through writer!  The Odyssey would be an excellent addition to our Latin class.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

I loved The Giver, and Great Expectations. It took a second read through of Great Expectations to get into it. I also loved The Odyssey.

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Me too!  We had a huge debate at work between those who thought Snape was good, and those who didn't.  That was a fine day when the two other "good" people and I could tell the other 10 "WE TOLD YOU SO!"

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Oh and I was a HUGE Potterhead growing up. I still am.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I bought the entire Little House series at Goodwill the other day, and we are on the third book already! They are just as engaging as I remembered. I have them on Kindle, but I prefer to read real books, so I was thrilled to find them at a price that fits my skinflint budget.
My favorite books when I was little were probably all the Louisa May Alcott books, then all the Dickens books, until sixth grade, when I discovered Piers Anthony, and then Anne Rice led me into another genre for a time before Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Isabel Allende put me under a spell through high school. I loved serials the most as a kid (and I still do), so I buy a lot of series and sets of authors' works for the boys. LO's first "sets" are all the Mo Willems books and most of the Jan Bretts. He loves them!
TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 8:34 PM
There's nothing that makes me feel more at home than The Little House books. That was a great find! I still have mine, along with Anne of Green Gables, from growing up.

I'll look at those authors you mentioned. My girls love the Percy Jackson series. We read The Hobbit last year and they were pretty grit hy about all the differences between the book and the movie. My oldest saw the previews for the second and said she didn't even want to see it! Lol, that's how Hollywood is.

Louisa was one if my favorites too. You've brought back some good memories!

Quoting tuffymama:

I bought the entire Little House series at Goodwill the other day, and we are on the third book already! They are just as engaging as I remembered. I have them on Kindle, but I prefer to read real books, so I was thrilled to find them at a price that fits my skinflint budget.

My favorite books when I was little were probably all the Louisa May Alcott books, then all the Dickens books, until sixth grade, when I discovered Piers Anthony, and then Anne Rice led me into another genre for a time before Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Isabel Allende put me under a spell through high school. I loved serials the most as a kid (and I still do), so I buy a lot of series and sets of authors' works for the boys. LO's first "sets" are all the Mo Willems books and most of the Jan Bretts. He loves them!
TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Sorry about that last quote!  I didn't realize CM (or me!) erased everything I wrote.  I LOVE The Little House books.  I've never heard of the Mandie Series, but checked it out on Amazon and my girls will love that too.  Thank you!

Quoting Dawn07:

Little house on the prairie. The mandie series. I could probably name more lol.
I think I remember reading that one.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I still have my Little House box set from when I was little (30 years ago) and I read them so often the bindings are barely there. I also was a huge Judy Blume fan. i liked Mark Twain and Charles Dickens too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)