Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

"King of the Wind" by Marguerite Henry -&- What were your favorite books growing up?

Posted by   + Show Post

This was one of my favorite books when I was young, so I borrowed it from the library the other day to read as our nighttime story.

We polished it off in just three nights!  It's 173 pages, and includes plenty of beautiful illustrations so isn't terribly long.  The second night we were up past 11:00 to read 'just one more chapter!'  DH finally asked if we were ever going to sleep, LOL.  They're usually out by 9:30, but who am I to stop a good story?  :)

Have you read any good family books lately?  What were your favorites when you were young?

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Replies (21-30):
TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:25 PM
That is so neat, especially for your children. I have Little House of course and Anne of Green Gables to.

Judy Blume is always good and was still popular in the library when I was volunteering there last year! Dickens is great, and Twain is still extremely witty today.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I still have my Little House box set from when I was little (30 years ago) and I read them so often the bindings are barely there. I also was a huge Judy Blume fan. i liked Mark Twain and Charles Dickens too.
TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

That is still one of my favorite books!  I have several of hers, including an illustrated treasury of all of the Wesley Dennis illustrations.

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this

My girls and I would LOVE that illustration book!  His drawings are beautiful and make the horses (and people) come to life.  I still have my old "Album of Horses" and we love leafing through that.

Quoting TigerofMu:

That is still one of my favorite books!  I have several of hers, including an illustrated treasury of all of the Wesley Dennis illustrations.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't get many family reading moments in my childhood - but we all did read Cheaper by the Dozen. So I make sure I read to my boys every night. We've done all the Harry Potter, and Percy Jackson and Kane Chronicles. Now we are on book 6 of the Ranger Apperentice book series. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I cringed when my youngest DS signed up for a reading course at co-op and both Little House and Anne of Green Gables were on the book list...and was socked that my most macho son loved both books...lol

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That is so neat, especially for your children. I have Little House of course and Anne of Green Gables to.

Judy Blume is always good and was still popular in the library when I was volunteering there last year! Dickens is great, and Twain is still extremely witty today.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I still have my Little House box set from when I was little (30 years ago) and I read them so often the bindings are barely there. I also was a huge Judy Blume fan. i liked Mark Twain and Charles Dickens too.

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:22 PM

That's fun (and understandable when you saw the reading list!).  There are strong male characters in each, and Anne is downright funny many times!

Quoting KickButtMama:

I cringed when my youngest DS signed up for a reading course at co-op and both Little House and Anne of Green Gables were on the book list...and was socked that my most macho son loved both books...lol

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting Leissaintexas:

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Anything by Rick Riordan rocks. :)  Harry is a favorite here too.

How do you like the Ranger series?  They've never had book one yet at the library, but I'm thinking it would be a good one to request.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I didn't get many family reading moments in my childhood - but we all did read Cheaper by the Dozen. So I make sure I read to my boys every night. We've done all the Harry Potter, and Percy Jackson and Kane Chronicles. Now we are on book 6 of the Ranger Apperentice book series. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 25, 2013 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a fantastic series, very well written..though they use the word Damn throughout. I know that bothers some people. 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

How do you like the Ranger series?  They've never had book one yet at the library, but I'm thinking it would be a good one to request.

Quoting KickButtMama:

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 6:18 PM
That's not a deterrent for a good book here, but I sincerely thank you for letting me know. Maybe I'll ask my older daughter to read a passage then tell her to put a quarter in the swear jar, lol! :)

I will put the first two on hold so we can get started.

Quoting KickButtMama:

It's a fantastic series, very well written..though they use the word Damn throughout. I know that bothers some people. 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting KickButtMama:

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

After I get done with the second Zombie Catchers book, D and I are going to start one of the Rick Riordin series.  I just haven't decided which one yet.  They are all so awesome!  LOL!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN