Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

"King of the Wind" by Marguerite Henry -&- What were your favorite books growing up?

Posted by   + Show Post

This was one of my favorite books when I was young, so I borrowed it from the library the other day to read as our nighttime story.

We polished it off in just three nights!  It's 173 pages, and includes plenty of beautiful illustrations so isn't terribly long.  The second night we were up past 11:00 to read 'just one more chapter!'  DH finally asked if we were ever going to sleep, LOL.  They're usually out by 9:30, but who am I to stop a good story?  :)

Have you read any good family books lately?  What were your favorites when you were young?

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Replies (31-40):
TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this

They're all great.  The Percy Series rocks with all of the Greek Gods, and learning details about the Egyptian ones in the Pyramid Set is also super cool.   You can't go wrong with any of them.

Quoting kmath:

After I get done with the second Zombie Catchers book, D and I are going to start one of the Rick Riordin series.  I just haven't decided which one yet.  They are all so awesome!  LOL!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Anything by Rick Riordan rocks. :)  Harry is a favorite here too.

How do you like the Ranger series?  They've never had book one yet at the library, but I'm thinking it would be a good one to request.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I didn't get many family reading moments in my childhood - but we all did read Cheaper by the Dozen. So I make sure I read to my boys every night. We've done all the Harry Potter, and Percy Jackson and Kane Chronicles. Now we are on book 6 of the Ranger Apperentice book series. 

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I know, that is what makes it so hard to decide which ones to do.  We are still on Ancients and learning about Egypt so I think we will start with that series.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

They're all great.  The Percy Series rocks with all of the Greek Gods, and learning details about the Egyptian ones in the Pyramid Set is also super cool.   You can't go wrong with any of them.

Quoting kmath:

After I get done with the second Zombie Catchers book, D and I are going to start one of the Rick Riordin series.  I just haven't decided which one yet.  They are all so awesome!  LOL!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

How do you like the Ranger series?  They've never had book one yet at the library, but I'm thinking it would be a good one to request.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I didn't get many family reading moments in my childhood - but we all did read Cheaper by the Dozen. So I make sure I read to my boys every night. We've done all the Harry Potter, and Percy Jackson and Kane Chronicles. Now we are on book 6 of the Ranger Apperentice book series. 

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

39 Clues is another awesome series and the kids in it go all kinds of places.  I want to get D all of those books as well.

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

That's a cool idea.  We've gone past cavemen to the pastoral and agricultural societies.  We just left Ur. :)  Egypt is coming up fast, and I know my girls would enjoy all the conversations between the humans and the gods.  Anubis plays a big role, and they both know about him from The Mummy movies and statues when Cleopatra's belongings (including a letter written by her) came to Cincinnati. 

Quoting kmath:

I know, that is what makes it so hard to decide which ones to do.  We are still on Ancients and learning about Egypt so I think we will start with that series.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting KickButtMama:

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Those were extremely popular in the school library last year.  Loads of students told me about them, and I'd like us to check those out too.

Quoting kmath:

39 Clues is another awesome series and the kids in it go all kinds of places.  I want to get D all of those books as well.

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that is my favorite part about his books is the way the humans and gods interact.  He does a pretty good job explaining the different gods as well.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That's a cool idea.  We've gone past cavemen to the pastoral and agricultural societies.  We just left Ur. :)  Egypt is coming up fast, and I know my girls would enjoy all the conversations between the humans and the gods.  Anubis plays a big role, and they both know about him from The Mummy movies and statues when Cleopatra's belongings (including a letter written by her) came to Cincinnati. 

Quoting kmath:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting KickButtMama:

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:12 PM

That's why I liked "The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel" series by Michael Scott.  He mixes Greek, Egyptian, Norse, and a few I hadn't even heard of in the same books.  I didn't like them quite as much as Riordan's, but they're still well worth reading (and don't take long either).

Quoting kmath:

I think that is my favorite part about his books is the way the humans and gods interact.  He does a pretty good job explaining the different gods as well.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting KickButtMama:

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I think I read those.  Did they have famous historical figures in them as well, like Joan of Arc, or am I thinking of a different series?

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That's why I liked "The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel" series by Michael Scott.  He mixes Greek, Egyptian, Norse, and a few I hadn't even heard of in the same books.  I didn't like them quite as much as Riordan's, but they're still well worth reading (and don't take long either).

Quoting kmath:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting KickButtMama:

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:23 AM

That's it.  Along with a bunch of bizarre-named Irish monsters.  I had to look most of those up to see what the heck they were.

Quoting kmath:

I think I read those.  Did they have famous historical figures in them as well, like Joan of Arc, or am I thinking of a different series?

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting KickButtMama:

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:25 AM

LOL, yeah I remember reading them.  That is another good series.  I will have to find them again.  I love stuff like this.  I swear a lot of Young Adult books are better than the adult books!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That's it.  Along with a bunch of bizarre-named Irish monsters.  I had to look most of those up to see what the heck they were.

Quoting kmath:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting kmath:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)