Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

"King of the Wind" by Marguerite Henry -&- What were your favorite books growing up?

Posted by   + Show Post

This was one of my favorite books when I was young, so I borrowed it from the library the other day to read as our nighttime story.

We polished it off in just three nights!  It's 173 pages, and includes plenty of beautiful illustrations so isn't terribly long.  The second night we were up past 11:00 to read 'just one more chapter!'  DH finally asked if we were ever going to sleep, LOL.  They're usually out by 9:30, but who am I to stop a good story?  :)

Have you read any good family books lately?  What were your favorites when you were young?

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Replies (41-50):
jurbi
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:35 AM
1 mom liked this

The Princess and the Goblin!!!!!

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM
That looks good! Definitely added to our reading list!

Quoting jurbi:

The Princess and the Goblin!!!!!

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I actually picked  Album of Horses up a few months ago when I found it on Amazon, because I couldn't resist :).  I wanted to show you Sham, also.  When I was a kid, they put out an issue of King of the Wind, along with a Breyer Horse Sham.  When you see him up close, you can actually make out the wheat ear on his chest and the white spot on his heel.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

My girls and I would LOVE that illustration book!  His drawings are beautiful and make the horses (and people) come to life.  I still have my old "Album of Horses" and we love leafing through that.

Quoting TigerofMu:

That is still one of my favorite books!  I have several of hers, including an illustrated treasury of all of the Wesley Dennis illustrations.

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM

That is fabulous!  My girls would love to find the wheat ear and white spot that gave him speed. :)

Here's my Album.  My grandparents bought it for me when I was 9.  I caught a baby rabbit one day, and used it as a divider in the hamster cage.  The next morning it was all chewed.  I let the rabbit go that morning!

Quoting TigerofMu:

I actually picked  Album of Horses up a few months ago when I found it on Amazon, because I couldn't resist :).  I wanted to show you Sham, also.  When I was a kid, they put out an issue of King of the Wind, along with a Breyer Horse Sham.  When you see him up close, you can actually make out the wheat ear on his chest and the white spot on his heel.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

My girls and I would LOVE that illustration book!  His drawings are beautiful and make the horses (and people) come to life.  I still have my old "Album of Horses" and we love leafing through that.

Quoting TigerofMu:

That is still one of my favorite books!  I have several of hers, including an illustrated treasury of all of the Wesley Dennis illustrations.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow! I really thought I was the only one who like the Wind in the Willows.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

That's awesome!!

Stuart Little, Charlotte's Web, and the Wind in the Willows are some favorites.  We are planning Rip Van Winkle later this month too.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I remember being most excited to ride Toad's Wild Ride when we went to Dsney.  We went there first thing because I loved The Wind in the Willows so much.  My boys love it too, but their favorite character is Toad and mine was always Mole.

Quoting kirbymom:

Wow! I really thought I was the only one who like the Wind in the Willows.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

That's awesome!!

Stuart Little, Charlotte's Web, and the Wind in the Willows are some favorites.  We are planning Rip Van Winkle later this month too.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this
This post just inspired me to order The Lion's Paw from Amazon. It was a favorite back in elementary school, and I'm thrilled it's in print again. I can't wait to read it to LO!
TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:26 AM

That looks like a fantastic story line!  I've never read it, but my girls love adventure stories and this sounds like a good one.  Is this sad too (with the children broken up) or is it mostly action?

Quoting tuffymama:

This post just inspired me to order The Lion's Paw from Amazon. It was a favorite back in elementary school, and I'm thrilled it's in print again. I can't wait to read it to LO!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I loved Little House on the Prarie, Narnia, Redwall series, and Harry Potter. So far my daughter hates all of the above.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:36 AM
2 moms liked this
That must have been so exciting! :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I remember being most excited to ride Toad's Wild Ride when we went to Dsney.  We went there first thing because I loved The Wind in the Willows so much.  My boys love it too, but their favorite character is Toad and mine was always Mole.

Quoting kirbymom:Wow! I really thought I was the only one who like the Wind in the Willows.
Quoting bluerooffarm:

That's awesome!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)