Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Any suggestions for beginning Latin? Mostly for a 12yo,maybe for an 8yo.
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Replies (21-25):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:58 AM

No clue, honestly. You'd do better asking on the WTM boards. DD ended up unable to use either (dyslexic - needed to concentrate on English, lol).

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Hey Aimee - do these include verb conjugations?  If so, do they describe them nicely?  That's an important skill, especially if we switch to another language later, and I'd like to make sure my girls understand that concept.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

You could do Prima Latina for both, but I would recommend First Form Latin for the 12 year old, and Prima for the 8 year old (the 12 year old may find Prima boring, and First Form is rigorous).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Thanks. I'll see what the ladies say over there.  One of my friends is dyslexic, and he had similar circumstances in school.  :)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

No clue, honestly. You'd do better asking on the WTM boards. DD ended up unable to use either (dyslexic - needed to concentrate on English, lol).

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Hey Aimee - do these include verb conjugations?  If so, do they describe them nicely?  That's an important skill, especially if we switch to another language later, and I'd like to make sure my girls understand that concept.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

You could do Prima Latina for both, but I would recommend First Form Latin for the 12 year old, and Prima for the 8 year old (the 12 year old may find Prima boring, and First Form is rigorous).

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Mem, if you're still looking through options these charts seem to be extremely helpful.  I'm looking for a Classical program (where Salve sounds like Salwe), and this lists Classical versus Ecclesiastical, Christian versus Secular, grade range, etc.

http://www.homeschoolchristian.com/curricula/reviews/latincomparison.php

chlippr77
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:06 AM

May or may not help, but my oldest two kiddos are using "Latin's Not So Tough" from www.greeknstuff.com  My 11 year old is using level 2 (and this is her first year).  My 9 year old is using level one (his first year, also).  Level 1 focuses on the alphabet throughout the entire book, just the alphabet one letter at a time.  Level 2 starts out with the alphabet, like 3 letters at a time, and then moves on to words.  Every few pages she has a review and uses the words for an activity.  They both really enjoy it, and it doesn't take them that long every day.  I ordered a CD to help with the pronunciation.  I'm tongue tied and have difficulty pronouncing new words.  I didn't want that affecting my kiddos.

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this
We love Song School Latin :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)