Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Any suggestions for beginning Latin? Mostly for a 12yo,maybe for an 8yo.
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Replies (11-20):
TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 8:30 PM
That sounds, um, fun.

I won't mention the big Latin Convention we used to go to in Columbus . . . ;)

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

We got to watch documentaries.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I took Latin in high school too, and it was my favorite class ever!  Our Latin teacher was the best teacher anyone could ever want for Latin.  She's teaching Classical Languages at a college in Colorado now. 

We had toga parties where the seniors could buy freshman to bring them grapes, water, etc.  She had a party during the holidays and we'd all watch "Ben Hurr" and eat figs.  Once a year we'd go to the Indy 500 with a metal 'chariot' the metal shop made.  Two people would hold it and run in front, the lightest freshman would sit in the cart, and we'd run relays around the pit stop.  The pit stop is way longer than it looks on TV!  :) 

I'm going to incorporate as much of that as I can (with two students of course!) into our routine.  I think the big dog can substitute for a lion in the Colosseum.  :)

Way too cool about firsthand Spanish, btw!

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

I thought about starting Latin, but I took it in high school and hated it.

We are working on their Spanish, but since it is a language spoken in our home, I want to pick another language to broaden their horizons.

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

sticking out tongue

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That sounds, um, fun.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I took Latin in high school too, and it was my favorite class ever!  Our Latin teacher was the best teacher anyone could ever want for Latin.  She's teaching Classical Languages at a college in Colorado now. 

We had toga parties where the seniors could buy freshman to bring them grapes, water, etc.  She had a party during the holidays and we'd all watch "Ben Hurr" and eat figs.  Once a year we'd go to the Indy 500 with a metal 'chariot' the metal shop made.  Two people would hold it and run in front, the lightest freshman would sit in the cart, and we'd run relays around the pit stop.  The pit stop is way longer than it looks on TV!  :) 

I'm going to incorporate as much of that as I can (with two students of course!) into our routine.  I think the big dog can substitute for a lion in the Colosseum.  :)

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

We are working on their Spanish, but since it is a language spoken in our home, I want to pick another language to broaden their horizons.

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:37 PM

laughing

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

sticking out tongue

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That sounds, um, fun.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Heidi's co-op is using Minimus. I think it was ordered from Rainbow Resource. We just got it today and it is in my lap as I type but I haven't looked at it yet.
julesjerry
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I have put together links to learn Latin. Please let me know if this helps.

http://wp.me/p3wWiR-aF

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL, that sounds like my Latin teacher!  I loved that class and our teacher totally rocked.  I could even ignore the fact that my sister was in the class with me.  We did so much fun stuff and competitions and stuff.  It was definitely NOT boring! 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:32 AM
I will check it out. Thanks!

Quoting julesjerry:

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this
That's awesome (and funny about sister). Latin can be incredibly fun & educational with the right approach.

Quoting kmath:

LOL, that sounds like my Latin teacher!  I loved that class and our teacher totally rocked.  I could even ignore the fact that my sister was in the class with me.  We did so much fun stuff and competitions and stuff.  It was definitely NOT boring! 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM

There are some great materials in here.  This will be nice to add meaning to our own program; thanks so much for posting this.

Quoting julesjerry:

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Hey Aimee - do these include verb conjugations?  If so, do they describe them nicely?  That's an important skill, especially if we switch to another language later, and I'd like to make sure my girls understand that concept.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

You could do Prima Latina for both, but I would recommend First Form Latin for the 12 year old, and Prima for the 8 year old (the 12 year old may find Prima boring, and First Form is rigorous).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)