Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

WWYD during recuperation from surgery?

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:01 PM
  • 6 Replies
My son is going to have surgery in a few weeks that will require 3 days inpatient and 6 weeks recuperation in all. My state just requires 180 days so that isn't a problem. How long should I give him "sick leave"? As long as he would have been given a medical excuse for school? He's 6 and I'm pretty relaxed and flexible anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:24 PM

My surgery took me a lot longer than I was originally planning.  But I remember having an easier time as a teen having my surgery.  6.....I would plan on going light the first week after his surgery and then reevaluate.  Maybe longer, 3 days inpatient seems big to me.  But definitely reevaluate frequently because things change quickly in either direction.

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:54 PM

If I were in a similar situation I would plan on laid back good times for the first few weeks (or however long he would have been out of school), then ease in with his favorite subjects (here we would be doing extra science labs that were educational but mainly for the fun of it), then gradually switch over to your regular schedule.  When my girls are sick I take it as an opportunity for some snuggling which is always nice.  :)

Best wishes on his surgery and a speedy recovery.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I would plan for the full amount of time but if he wanted to do school I would let him do as much as he wanted!

QueenCreole313
by Julia on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:30 AM
I would give about 2 weeks off. Health first. We may watch educational tv in the meantime and would read to him.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I honestly would play it by ear.   On one hand, he might feel miserable and really need the downtime.   On the other hand, how else are you going to get him to sit still and not want to run around too early or injure himself?   I think I'd be prepared, but not push unless he wants to.

Lots of fun puzzles and things, some sit-still crafts and science projects, lots of fun books (books on tape??) and some fun/interesting science videos.

At six?  I'd still consider magic school bus, wild kratts, etc... to be school.. maybe even curious george or super why...

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 16, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Yes. This.

Quoting usmom3:

I would plan for the full amount of time but if he wanted to do school I would let him do as much as he wanted!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)