Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

she is up to grade on math, spelling,reading she finished her stuff for this year but writing and l.a she still has stuff to do. L.A not to worried its only a few pages but writing is like 250 pages behind. so what do i do know make her finsh that before going on to second grade or do i just incorperrate it into this year as well. im just so confused about what would be the best choice here.

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Replies (11-12):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 16, 2013 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol - I know. But I have tried teaching on some sort of "normal" type of teaching but he just couldn't learn that way. Out of 7 kids, none of them were able to learn the normal way. I learned that if I wanted to keep their interest in learning, I had better come up with a better way of teaching them quick. This way definitely keeps their interest.

Quoting tinkerspell:

Quoting kirbymom:Behind? By whose standards? Yours or the systems?

In our school, I do not teach to grade level. I teach to mental and physical ability-understanding. For example I have a seven year old who is learning algebra, knows the multiplication tables through twelve, but is just now getting comfortable with reading. He has learned how to tell analog time as well as digital time. He knows money and how to calculate it. He is all over the schooling map.
What I am poorly trying to point out is, you teach to what your child's understanding is no matter where that is.

wow thaats crazy lol

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Quoting QueenCreole313:

Don't worry mama. She's never behind. She's at her own pace. I don't believe in rushing to be on "grade level". That's what leads to frustrations. Grade levels were created to monitor classroom education. She's doing great as long as she is learning!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)