Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Surprised about...

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:59 AM
  • 11 Replies

having to inform my school district homeschool coordinator about what she needs to send me...

today, I was on the phone with my son's public school secretary, who also coordinates and files the homeschool documents. anyway, she pipes up and asks ME what she needs to send me for homeschool forms, etc. she is new at this this year, but really, didn't anyone fill her in at the school? Not judging here, just suprised that she asked me.

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Most schools either don't know or skew what homeschoolers are about.  So it doesn't surprise me that she asked you.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Silverkitty is right most schools are ignorant to the homeschool laws in their state!

PeaceChild
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Yeah, I guess so.

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:31 PM

It doesn't really surprise me, a lot of schools have no clue what is required for home schooling.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Yep, I'm with the other ladies.  I've made a lot of waves because I have read (and re-read, and understood) our state's laws and I don't put up with most of the crap they "require."  Most schools do not have a clue.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I'm, in general, surprised by the lack of knowledge of a lot of workers.  Take, for instance, my HOA manager whom I had to call about the 4 month old water leak in our neighborhood that had algae growing on the sidewalk.  She was "in a fight" with the city over whose responsibility it was.  Turns out, if you freaking call city, it's a matter of scheduling.  There's a group of people out there who hold jobs and don't actually do them.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Like the others said, never be surprised at the PS systems ignorance of HS laws/requirements

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Wow!

I'm not surprised in the least at the lack of knowledge. However, I am shocked that the lady had to good grace enought even, to ask!!! THAT is a shocker. Never heard of anyone from the ps system go out of their way to find out what they are supposed to do for homeschoolers in their district.
collinsmommy0
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:36 PM
I'm not surprised. A lot of public school workers are just thrown into the job with no support or training - teachers get training through college but there's usually very little training of actual 'this is what we do/ the paperwork In our district'

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM

This is very true.

Quoting usmom3:

Silverkitty is right most schools are ignorant to the homeschool laws in their state!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)