Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is your go-to first grade math?

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:29 PM
  • 23 Replies

We'll be using Miquon alongside whatever I choose. My little one will be moving out of kindergarten math around Christmas.

Kickers:

No Abeka or BJU (nothing that comes from an anti-Catholic company)

Spiral

Not asian math (no Singapore!)

Not Saxon

(could I be any more picky?!)

Some games are fine, but I do NOT want entirely game/play based. He enjoys workbooks, as do I. We'll be enrolling him with Seton after Christmas break, but I'm not sure I care for their math - it's mastery and I really prefer spiral.

I've used upper grades of CLE and Horizons, but I'm not sure how their lower grades compare.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

We like Math U See.  I think it's considered Mastery, but every test (and every systematic review page) has some of the older lessons making a reprise.  So I consider it Spiral-lite or spiralesque.  LOL

I don't think they are anti-Catholic, but they are Christian.  We typically try for secular in science and math, which is why I put it off before....but now I love it!  We use it beside LOF.

TidewaterClan
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:41 PM
My girls love the game books from The Mailbox. They're in the Closeout section now, & only $3:

http://www.theeducationcenter.com/marketplace/TEC61133/detail.do?productId=TEC61133&OID=536936287&contentTypeId=0&tcid=&ccid=

I can't turn that into a link from the phone. The LA game book is also great.

We're using Math In Focus, but it's the 'Singapore Approach' so wouldn't fit your needs.

They used Everyday Math in ps, which is spiral. It's a decent program, but I personally found it to be slightly weak.
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Can I ask why no Saxon?

We have done Singapore, Teaching Textbooks, and Saxon, and it's by far been our favorite.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Saxon made us want to cry. It was far too dull. Turned my math loving dd into a crying mess. Lol.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:42 PM

We are a MUS family also! LOVE IT!! IT worked well for all my kids up through 4th grade.

In 5th, my middle son who has a learnind disability got stuck and we had to switch up his program.

The other two - DD in 5th doing Epsilon (fractions) and DS1 in Algebra 2 are still going strong on it.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:30 PM

My new favorite math is Math U See... but it's not spiral, it's mastery.

Mweddle
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:58 PM

we are using math u see and so far we love it!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 16, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Okay, I am not going to be of any help. I write all of the younger math by hand from my own inspiration.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Isn't MUS mastery and common core aligned?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah... I don't want to do that, lol. I like my textbooks :)

Quoting kirbymom:

Okay, I am not going to be of any help. I write all of the younger math by hand from my own inspiration.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN