Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is your go-to first grade math?

Posted by   + Show Post

We'll be using Miquon alongside whatever I choose. My little one will be moving out of kindergarten math around Christmas.

Kickers:

No Abeka or BJU (nothing that comes from an anti-Catholic company)

Spiral

Not asian math (no Singapore!)

Not Saxon

(could I be any more picky?!)

Some games are fine, but I do NOT want entirely game/play based. He enjoys workbooks, as do I. We'll be enrolling him with Seton after Christmas break, but I'm not sure I care for their math - it's mastery and I really prefer spiral.

I've used upper grades of CLE and Horizons, but I'm not sure how their lower grades compare.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Replies (11-20):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I'd just use workbooks and a lot of hands on materials.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I prefer a paced, scheduled textbook/program. We do have c-rods, flats, and teddy bear counters. I'm not a huge fan (and I haven't the patience for) a solely game or play based math, so that's it for the manipulatives here, lol.

I might just go with Miquon and add in the Seton math textbook to teach things Miquon doesn't - like ordinal numbers, calendar, etc.

Quoting paganbaby:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Those types just feel constricting to me. I get the heebie jeebies just thinking about them,lol.

But it sounds like you have a good feel for what you think'll work :-)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I prefer a paced, scheduled textbook/program. We do have c-rods, flats, and teddy bear counters. I'm not a huge fan (and I haven't the patience for) a solely game or play based math, so that's it for the manipulatives here, lol.

I might just go with Miquon and add in the Seton math textbook to teach things Miquon doesn't - like ordinal numbers, calendar, etc.

Quoting paganbaby:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Meh - the thought of being all play and hands on gives ME the heebie jeebies. Lol. I'm a project hater, lol!

Nico loves his books, lol. At his age (4), he gets excited about what makes me excited.

New text/workbooks make me all hot and bothered :P You should have seen me on box day(s)!

Quoting paganbaby:

Those types just feel constricting to me. I get the heebie jeebies just thinking about them,lol.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting paganbaby:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:27 PM

sidesplittinglaughterI love you. You crack me up!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Meh - the thought of being all play and hands on gives ME the heebie jeebies. Lol. I'm a project hater, lol!

Nico loves his books, lol. At his age (4), he gets excited about what makes me excited.

New text/workbooks make me all hot and bothered :P You should have seen me on box day(s)!

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting paganbaby:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

vintage-misha
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I gave a friend who raves about Life of Fred but I know nothing about it. I'm looking at Living math from Queen homeschool. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I *tried* LOF with my eldest. It was a bust. I definitely don't consider it a standalone. Cool supplement though.

Queens is more Charlotte Mason, isn't it? I'm more of a standard workbook/textbook kind of gal.

Quoting vintage-misha:

I gave a friend who raves about Life of Fred but I know nothing about it. I'm looking at Living math from Queen homeschool. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Isn't MUS mastery and common core aligned?

MUS is a mastery program, but they revisit old knowledge for each lesson test.  They are "common core exceeding."  They did change one thing in their curriculum to "comply" with CC, they added problems where the student is to find the "missing" addend, subtrahend, whatever with using a blank instead of a letter.

4 + ___= 7 instead of 4 + A = 7  So the student just writes 3 on the line instead of making the equation A=3. 

It aligns with how many of the standardized tests are introducing the concept.  They still do many with the unknown having letter substitutions which IMO better prepares students for algebra and higher mathematics.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you.

We choose not to use anything aligned with CC (anything that changed for CC), on principle. I appreciate the recommendation though!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Isn't MUS mastery and common core aligned?

MUS is a mastery program, but they revisit old knowledge for each lesson test.  They are "common core exceeding."  They did change one thing in their curriculum to "comply" with CC, they added problems where the student is to find the "missing" addend, subtrahend, whatever with using a blank instead of a letter.

4 + ___= 7 instead of 4 + A = 7  So the student just writes 3 on the line instead of making the equation A=3. 

It aligns with how many of the standardized tests are introducing the concept.  They still do many with the unknown having letter substitutions which IMO better prepares students for algebra and higher mathematics.

celticdragon77
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:24 PM

You have something against asian math. Id like to hear more about that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)