Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What is your go-to first grade math?

Posted by   + Show Post

We'll be using Miquon alongside whatever I choose. My little one will be moving out of kindergarten math around Christmas.

Kickers:

No Abeka or BJU (nothing that comes from an anti-Catholic company)

Spiral

Not asian math (no Singapore!)

Not Saxon

(could I be any more picky?!)

Some games are fine, but I do NOT want entirely game/play based. He enjoys workbooks, as do I. We'll be enrolling him with Seton after Christmas break, but I'm not sure I care for their math - it's mastery and I really prefer spiral.

I've used upper grades of CLE and Horizons, but I'm not sure how their lower grades compare.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Replies (21-23):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:34 PM

*I* have nothing against it, per se. I defer to my husband on maths (given his degree fields and career) and he is die hard against it - something about it being overkill and a need for algorithms, as well as conceptual understanding. He prefers (and I'll admit, I do as well) more traditional maths. His stand-by, for everything in life, is "keep it simple stupid!" (not directed at anyone in particular, lol).

In general, we just really prefer traditional math programs. We also use Miquon, which is certainly conceptual enough, as a supplement to a traditional program.

Quoting celticdragon77:

You have something against asian math. Id like to hear more about that.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

lovelylady83
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Well you have ousted Singapore BUT I would still look into Math In Focus... its the best I have seen

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I have. It's mastery and asian (and I believe common core aligned). Thanks though!

Quoting lovelylady83:

Well you have ousted Singapore BUT I would still look into Math In Focus... its the best I have seen

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN