Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone have a four day academic week?

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:01 PM
  • 9 Replies

I am thinking of converting to a four-day week since I'm chaning jobs. Ideas, tips, tricks? 

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

We used to do it this way before the kids graduated. And by four day week I mean four formal academic day week. The last day was used for park days, field trips and grading, it wasn't like they didn't learn and don't always learn though.

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Ours is mostly four days.  Fridays are co-op days and catching up on anything we got behind on during the rest of the week.  The only thing he really does on Friday is his Spelling test.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:27 PM
We do a 4 day week. Fridays are our play/field trip days with our group. I lay out my lesson plans for a 4 day week.
QueenCreole313
by Julia on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Do any of you double up on math or language art lessons since you have a shorter week?

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:56 PM

We don't, but DS is going through both of them so quickly anyway that I don't see the point in it. 

Quoting QueenCreole313:

Do any of you double up on math or language art lessons since you have a shorter week?

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 4:58 PM

sort of by default, only because we signed up for a 2 hour nature class, that is very unstructured - basiclly a 2 hour nature walk - and it's a drive to get there so it takes up half the day, and we've snuck in some sort of errand or mini field trip for those afternoons. But there are only 2 weeks left, and not signed up for anything else at this point that will take up an entire day.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 16, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Some days end up four days of school but not all the time.
misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:09 AM

We do three days.  I split my kids up this year for their homeschool enrichment program, so now my son goes on Tuesdays and my daughter goes on Fridays.  I spend one on one fun time with the other kid while one is at Options.  So, that leaves us with a three day schoolwork eek, basically.  I only worry about math, grammar, speech/reading (for my daughter) on hose three days.  We fit history, science (both kids are science geeks, so they get plenty of science-y stuff on their own), art, and music when we can.  We read tons of living books, so I am not too worried about other stuff.  We are pretty laid back/relaxed...

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I'm really considering it.

Right now I work for a few hours on tuesdays and wednesdays, plus me and dd have an early morning areobic class those days too. That leaves 5 other days including the weekend. But on weekends my youngest is home and I'd like to make time with her too.

So now I'm thinking of maybe just doing science, history and art on Sundays. That's something all the kids like. Hmmm... or I could keep a 5 day week and do those three subjects on the weekends. But dang it, I'd really like one whole day off,lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)