Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you track your everyday activities?

Posted by   + Show Post

Motivational iPhone Gadgets Will Make Your Life Better But Only if You Use Them

by Jenny Erikson

In an information-driven, technology-obsessed world, there seems to be an app or gadget to track just about everything we do. I say that as I just checked my step count on my FitBit (3,885 -- wowza I’m lazy today) and scanned my fancy Lean Cuisine lunch into my Lose It app.

There are other apps and gizmos that let you keep track of nursing schedules (even which side!), diaper changes, chore habits, caffeine intake, sleep patterns, exercise, driving routes ... basically everything.

Ernesto Ramirez is a self-tracking devotee who recently organized a two-day conference in San Francisco on the subject. He says, “I think there’s an overall trend toward curiosity and proving knowledge of one's self in the world.”

Pediatricians are getting in on it, encouraging new parents to use apps to track newborn sleeping and eating patterns, and send the data in before appointments. “In the first few weeks, parents are so tired. It's really hard for them to give you objective data," pediatrician Natasha Bugert said.

But do these things actually motivate you to make healthier choices? Maybe. I try to track my calories because by the time dinner and dessert come around, I can’t remember what my middle name is, let alone what all I ate for breakfast. I have a FitBit so that in the off-chance I decide to get moving, it syncs with Lose It and I get to eat more.

Then again sometimes I say screw it and pour myself a second glass of wine, grab a giant piece of cheese and some crackers, and call it a day.

The moral of the story is that tracking tools are cool, but they can’t change your behavior. Only you can do that.

Do you track your everyday activities?

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Replies (11-19):
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I do but just on paper

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

clapping

Quoting paganbaby:

Right?

It was so funny. They had a lactation nurse come visit me to help out. I just looked at her and said my other breastfed baby is at home. Ds nursed through my whole pregnancy. Pretty sure I had that in the bag,lol.

Quoting hwblyf:

I love those things.  :)  My first was in NICU, so I didn't have to do that.  My 2nd I left the hospital after 24 hours and I can't remember those 24 hours, so who knows what I did.  I don't remember getting a sheet until #5, and by then I was like, screw this.  I got this goin' on!  :)

Quoting paganbaby:

Oh I remember in the hospital I was given a sheet to track how often dd breastfed amd how many diapers I changed. I don't know what they were thinking,lol. I was tired, sore, and had a fussy baby attached to me. I think I may have made 4 entries. They must have thought I was starving her LOL

jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:23 PM
I used to then lost all my info now I use an old fashion planner.
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:24 AM
Uh, no.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:49 AM
Not really. I used my fitness pal and I use a Christmas gift tracker.
julesjerry
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Hmm tracking.

I tried diferent method, tried two days, then gave up.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM

This is me a lot of the time!

Quoting julesjerry:

Hmm tracking.

I tried diferent method, tried two days, then gave up.

coala
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I am on again off again.  I find that I usually ignore my to do lists, and I am not as great at inputting the data into my fitness pal as I could be.  I am trying to find a way to organize my time and help me be more efficient.  I feel like I am spread to thin and I can't pull it all together.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:51 PM
I tracked every diaper change and feeding for the first 8-9 months of Kayla's life, and continued feeding tracking until about 14 months. I became dependent on it to know which side to feed on, how long ago. It was crazy. Lol
I do use my fitness pal now, but that's about it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)