Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is this bad? I'm learning math at the same time as my daughter...

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:48 AM
  • 41 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'll be the first to admit I'm terrible at math. So that was a big concern when I brought 14yo dd home. I decided to give her a break from math until I could figure it out. Workbooks were a bust. They had answer keys but didn't explain how to do it. Crap! Finally I stumbled upon WOWmath.org. Yea! This guy (he's a teacher) made videos teaching Algebra 1 Algebra 2 and AP Calculus. He even put up online practice tests with answer key. So now, dd and I watch the videos together and learn together.

I'm 30 years old and I finally learned how to add, subtract and multiply integers, LOL!

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Not bad at all.  I can do math fine, but the way it is taught now is different than the way I learned.  So even though I can do it, I have to relearn the new way.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that's awesome!  It models lifelong learning, it makes things finally click with you, and your daughter understands that knowledge doesn't just come because you want it to.  Kudos to you for doing it!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:01 PM

If my husband was not a math wiz, I would be doing the same thing.  It is awesome.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this

And the worst part about that, if you've got a kid in ps, they don't teach the parents!

Quoting irvinehiker:

Not bad at all.  I can do math fine, but the way it is taught now is different than the way I learned.  So even though I can do it, I have to relearn the new way.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I understand. Dh tried to teach me a completly different way than the videos. Times have changed,lol.

Quoting irvinehiker:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you! And I've told her, it's okay if you don't learn something at this moment in time. There's always later. Look at me LOL

Quoting hwblyf:

I think that's awesome!  It models lifelong learning, it makes things finally click with you, and your daughter understands that knowledge doesn't just come because you want it to.  Kudos to you for doing it!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Oh my dh's a math wiz too. He just sucks at teaching,lol.

Quoting debramommyof4:

If my husband was not a math wiz, I would be doing the same thing.  It is awesome.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Right?

Quoting hwblyf:

And the worst part about that, if you've got a kid in ps, they don't teach the parents!

Quoting irvinehiker:

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Thankfully mine does well with teaching.  Though I am probably going to have to learn the math to not look completely out of my depth. 

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting debramommyof4:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Lucky! But yeah, you might want to brush up on it.

Quoting debramommyof4:

Thankfully mine does well with teaching.  Though I am probably going to have to learn the math to not look completely out of my depth. 

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)