Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is this bad? I'm learning math at the same time as my daughter...

Posted by   + Show Post

I'll be the first to admit I'm terrible at math. So that was a big concern when I brought 14yo dd home. I decided to give her a break from math until I could figure it out. Workbooks were a bust. They had answer keys but didn't explain how to do it. Crap! Finally I stumbled upon WOWmath.org. Yea! This guy (he's a teacher) made videos teaching Algebra 1 Algebra 2 and AP Calculus. He even put up online practice tests with answer key. So now, dd and I watch the videos together and learn together.

I'm 30 years old and I finally learned how to add, subtract and multiply integers, LOL!

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Replies (11-20):
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm the same way! I actually learned more math when I went to grad school to get a teaching degree than in all of public school! It was like a giant "ah-ha" moment for every math teaching class I went to! I actually was very enlightened by some of the problem solving methods used in EverydayMath and TERC. But at the same time I don't think they are great math curricula for schools, but more as for supplementation for some kids on what the concepts are behind the old fashioned algorithms.

Anyway, I'm sitting here right now as my 9 year old is working on MathUSee Alpha level. It's hard for me to see that he learned so little in school with Everyday Math and we are starting over so low. But I've also said many times, I think he and I have a touch of discalculia.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 17, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

There is nothing wrong with that!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:50 PM

It's actually kinda fun. If she gets it faster than me, she'll patiently explain the problem until I get it too,lol

Quoting usmom3:

There is nothing wrong with that!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

ripemango
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I would only think it bad if it were hindering her learning of advanced math courses. As long as she is on pace to take the ACT/SAT at the appropriate time, HOW she learns and who is teaching her seems irrelevant.

For supplementation:

www.khanacademy.org

This site, also free, was a tremendous help to me. I had taken introductory statistics courses as an undergrad but had to take advanced biostats classes for my master's. KhanAcademy has alegebra, trig, geometry, calculus, physics, chemistry, organic chemistry, and just all kinds of advanced materials on there, but i just used the statistics portion. I thought their probability section was really good. I felt like Khan's free explanation of stats and probabilities made more sense to me than my teacher.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 2:59 PM

No, not at all. She's a bit of a slow learner anyway and being in public school hasn't helped at all. Right now we're just trying to play catch up.

Thanks for the link! I've heard a lot about Khan but I haven't checked it out.

Quoting ripemango:

I would only think it bad if it were hindering her learning of advanced math courses. As long as she is on pace to take the ACT/SAT at the appropriate time, HOW she learns and who is teaching her seems irrelevant.

For supplementation:

www.khanacademy.org

This site, also free, was a tremendous help to me. I had taken introductory statistics courses as an undergrad but had to take advanced biostats classes for my master's. KhanAcademy has alegebra, trig, geometry, calculus, physics, chemistry, organic chemistry, and just all kinds of advanced materials on there, but i just used the statistics portion. I thought their probability section was really good. I felt like Khan's free explanation of stats and probabilities made more sense to me than my teacher.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:03 PM

This is one of the reasons we love Math U See. Having the instructor on video, I can watch it with the kids if I don't remember how to do something I learned more than 20 years ago!

ripemango
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Just one of the things I love about homeschooling. In public school it's a subject one week, test, then the next subject the following week. If your kids needs more (or less) on a subject...oh well, gotta stick to the weekly lesson plans.

I think curtailing learning to a child's needs can be so important in actually grasping concepts and when it comes to math you have to understand all of the preceding stuff to grasp the next step.

Quoting paganbaby:

No, not at all. She's a bit of a slow learner anyway and being in public school hasn't helped at all. Right now we're just trying to play catch up.

Quoting ripemango:

For supplementation:

www.khanacademy.org

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:04 PM
I finally learned fractions last year from Life Of Fred. II'm learning right along with my kids. Doesn't say much about the PS system, does it?
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Nice! That's what I like so much about these videos. I can see him work out the problem and re-watch it again and again if needed.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

This is one of the reasons we love Math U See. Having the instructor on video, I can watch it with the kids if I don't remember how to do something I learned more than 20 years ago!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM

This right here!

Quoting ripemango:

Just one of the things I love about homeschooling. In public school it's a subject one week, test, then the next subject the following week. If your kids needs more (or less) on a subject...oh well, gotta stick to the weekly lesson plans.

I think curtailing learning to a child's needs can be so important in actually grasping concepts and when it comes to math you have to understand all of the preceding stuff to grasp the next step.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting ripemango:

For supplementation:

www.khanacademy.org

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN