Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is this bad? I'm learning math at the same time as my daughter...

Posted by   + Show Post

I'll be the first to admit I'm terrible at math. So that was a big concern when I brought 14yo dd home. I decided to give her a break from math until I could figure it out. Workbooks were a bust. They had answer keys but didn't explain how to do it. Crap! Finally I stumbled upon WOWmath.org. Yea! This guy (he's a teacher) made videos teaching Algebra 1 Algebra 2 and AP Calculus. He even put up online practice tests with answer key. So now, dd and I watch the videos together and learn together.

I'm 30 years old and I finally learned how to add, subtract and multiply integers, LOL!

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Replies (31-40):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:20 PM
I am doing physics with my almost middle schooler. We are doing an online computer based curriculum for physics. It is basically high school physics without the math. We are learning so much. I never had physics and it so neat.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 8:25 PM

When Autumn was home, I felt the same way. When she's back for high school, I'll probably have to outsource. Tony *can* help, given his field is science and mathematics, but he tends to teach like a person already (or should already) know the material, lol... so I have the feeling it'll be outsourced :)

Blessedly, I'm not so dull that I'm having to re-learn kindergarten math with my son, lol!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

puglove029
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I'm doing that now. My daughter thinks it's funny. She knows I have to relearn most of this so that I can teach her. It's nice to learn it together though. It alsoo teaches them that it's okay not to know everything or to be wrong. She's in 8th grade.

Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:15 AM
I can relate to learning with my dd. I just found out how to turn decimals into percents, and what digraphs are in language arts. Thank goodness for the information on the internet.
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:20 AM
Yep my sister has come to me a few times asking if I know how to do different things. Her son's homework is sent home with no real explanation on how to do it. She ends up on Google or YouTube to help out.

Quoting hwblyf:

And the worst part about that, if you've got a kid in ps, they don't teach the parents!

Quoting irvinehiker:

Not bad at all.  I can do math fine, but the way it is taught now is different than the way I learned.  So even though I can do it, I have to relearn the new way.

julesjerry
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Awsome! You are my inspiration to learn Math, so i can teach my daughter. I will check this website. By the way, I am 32years.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:02 AM
Great way to look at it!

Quoting vivalamama:

You're just sharpening a dull pencil. That's how I see it when we get back to work. Sharpening your skills.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:18 AM

What are you using?  My son (5th grade) wants to learn so I have all these cool books, but we honestly haven't done much with them yet.

Quoting jen2150:

I am doing physics with my almost middle schooler. We are doing an online computer based curriculum for physics. It is basically high school physics without the math. We are learning so much. I never had physics and it so neat.

berlgirl1224
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Khan academy is great too! Look it up! My kids love it. We don't homeschool, but they have a great thing on there where it's like a game, where you need to get five in a row or start over.
There's videos to help
If you don't do the game thing, you can watch videos of professors showing you how to do any math
jen2150
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:13 PM
http://www.thesimplehomeschool.com/subscribers/ms-physics.html It is an interactive online program. I really love it. I have been doing elementary physics with my boys. I wanted something a little more in depth. We still read books on physics as well. This program helps me with the parts that are more difficult. We are learning it together.
Quoting hwblyf:

What are you using?  My son (5th grade) wants to learn so I have all these cool books, but we honestly haven't done much with them yet.

Quoting jen2150:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)