Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Low Cost Field Trip Ideas?

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:37 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone had some great low-cost field trip ideas that really worked for your family and kids - that were both highly educational and entertaining and what sort of subject matter they involved.

I am struggling for some creative new ideas today!

Blessings and thank you,

Janice

Bridgeway Academy

http://www.homeschoolinghelp.com/

by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Well, I'm outside of Columbus so we have lots of free or very cheap options. Have you checked with your local library and park system to see if they offer free classes?
PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Your state should have a website for tourism that lists attractions by cities. By far, normally the cheapest trips are historical sites and farms. 

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

If you have a park with a fitness trail that's a good PE trip.  We also got some art books that have several lessons where you go out into nature or a zoo or whatnot and paint.  See if you can get a tour of the local grocery store when you're doing nutrition or just go there with notebooks when you're doing money/finances.  We're studying weather right now so we're going to visit NCAR, if the floods didn't affect them too badly.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Register with your parks department for their newsletter or information about kids and family days.   On Wednesday, we went to Missouri Day here where they had examples of things from Missouri and displays on old-time things.

Also, call around at the museums and childrens museums and find out if they have any homeschool specials or family free days.

Get involved in a local homeschool group (Mine charges annual dues of $20) and you will get a ton of information.

What factories/plants/etc. do you live by?   Can your husband have visitors and give tours?   What about local colleges?

Farms?   Create your own "drive around scavenger hunt" and split into teams.   Pack a lunch and take a few bucks to sample stuff at some of the sights you see and it will only cost you that plus gas money.

Do you live near a train station?

Are you able to go into your airport?

Just go to the park and make up some relay races or work-together races.

JaniceEckenroth
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Great ideas, Krissy, thank you, and everyone for posting! :)

Blessings,

Janice

Mweddle
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I live near OKC and I find a lot of stuff on Groupon.  We got admission into a bone museum for like 3 bucks a person and we got admission into a pumpkin patch for half off.  We also have a lot of free stuff that I didn't even realize was free.   Check on google to see if you can find some cool free places to go.   Art museum? We LOVE going to trails around OK and hiking too (you can do so much with that!) and thats just the cost of gas.  :)

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Our local fire dept loves it when we stop by for a visit. They are really good about educating the kids about the equipment, the trucks, safety, etc. Same with the police dept, 911 dispatch, and ambulance station. You could do an entire community service unit and include the local newpaper office, chamber of commerce, tourism board, park service, sanitation, water treatment plant, the choices are endless when you start thinking of all the people that make our communities possible. It is also really good PR for homeschoolers to be seen as being active in our communities.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 19, 2013 at 3:07 PM
You could stop by your local radio station or tv station or your local newspaper station and explain who you are and what you are doing. They should give you a tour.
collinsmommy0
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Almost any kind of hike can be a science related field trip. Your own backyard could be used to star gaze.

Check your local library - ours here just had a moon festival activity, a nearby one had an animal show, and another one had a magician come
MotoStar
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Did you know that you can call your local Public Works and set up field trips?

Like the water plant, parks and recs, police, fire ect.

You can also call your local garbage company and set up a tour of how the sanitation system works.

Domain of the Mad Mommy
(rambling about kids, cooking and life)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)