Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How does your backyard look?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have to admit, I think people could tell we homeschool if they peeked in our backyard. LOL My boys are building a entire city out there. They've got old wood lean tos against our privacy fence. They've used yarn and aluminum foil to create everything from weapons to axes. Our swing set tree fort has multiple things added on and hanging off of it. It's kind of a mess unless one knew that the lean tos were actually wigwams in Cole's mind and the added things to the swing set are all parts of a pirate ship. It's so much harder to make them clean it up or throw it away when they've built such a whole world out there. Soon winter will really set in here and they'll have to take it down. *sigh* I sort of can't wait because of the mess and am sort of sad because it's always sad to see a world destroyed. LOL

by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Replies (11-20):
usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM

The problem is the seeds stay viable for up to 7 years. In my research to kill them I have found there is a weevil that is the plants natural enemy but they are expensive to get & you can only get them at specific times of year.

I might try the boiling water though to see if it will kill the plants that are already established!

Quoting mem82:

Yikes! Boiling water on the roots might help?

Quoting usmom3:

We have a huge back yard but it is filled with puncture vine plants & stickers that we just can't get rid of so the kids only play in the part that is within 40 feet of the house!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM

We have a tipped over pirate ship made for a presentation a while back.  It should probably go away by now.  :)  We also show signs of a lazy gardener (weeds, dead plants that need to be tilled under, etc...).  But right now it's a bit snowy, so who cares!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 12:34 PM

We're an end lot on the corner of the community, so its not just our backyard, its our side yard too, and it does suck. We own the most amount of "land" in the community, and we can't even do anything with more than half of it. The builders had fudged the copy of the plot map when we were looking at purchasing and assured us there were very little utility easement spots...when we got the actual plot map from the county, we learned differently...

Quoting mem82:

Oh, the utility easement would be yucky to have in the back yard.

Quoting No_Difference:

Ours is a huge mess at the moment. We refuse to put a up a fence because of a stupid utility easement, so we put in two large garden beds with an arbor over them...that project has left the back in perpetual mess :/ The kids hate playing back there anyway, they'd rather play out front...in the street...with the rest of the kids. Good thing we live on a dead end raod in the middle of no where so the only traffic that goes in and out are those that live here and know there are tons of kids and dogs. Hopefully next weekend I'll finally get a chance to clean the mess up and lay down grass seed.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
BramblePatch
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

We have a pretty big, unfenced yard. Right now there are two power wheel jeeps on the lawn, a swing set and sandbox filled with toys down on the creek, and two playhouses, a rope swing, and a picnic bench across the creek under the willows hidden from view of the road. We have a massive bunny hutch and 4 cords of firewood on the deck under the eaves.

Our nearest neighbors are a 1/4 mile down a diet road so we have relative peace to do as we please and bother no one.
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I LOVE our backyard! We were exiled in NM and it was awful with no trees or grass, now we are in San Antonio and our backyard is green and gorgeous. It is fully fenced with a covered back porch with my cushioned swing bench and a ceiling fan. We have a swing set with a slide and "clubhouse" with steering wheel and pretend telescope my son loves. The French doors open from the family room/kitchen. It. Is. Perfect. I will be sad to leave it in a few years when we have to move again.

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Try vinegar mixed with a little dawn. It works on regular weeds really well but I never tried it on those nasty sticker plants.

Quoting usmom3:

The problem is the seeds stay viable for up to 7 years. In my research to kill them I have found there is a weevil that is the plants natural enemy but they are expensive to get & you can only get them at specific times of year.

I might try the boiling water though to see if it will kill the plants that are already established!

Quoting mem82:

Yikes! Boiling water on the roots might help?

Quoting usmom3:

We have a huge back yard but it is filled with puncture vine plants & stickers that we just can't get rid of so the kids only play in the part that is within 40 feet of the house!

mamavalor
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 4:01 PM

We have seasonal allergies so we stay indoors.  Our backyard looks great, especially after it has just been fall cleaned.  The inside of our house is different.  It's more like the sound of your backyard...and my kids go to public school but we unschool at home.  :)

mom2Bellarose
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:38 AM

At the moment it's a mess! There are toys all over the patio. I usually have them pick up them up, but we forgot tonight. Of course we also forgot to put the top back on the sand box. Hope no stray cats have to make a pit stop. Other than that it's typical. I have two little girls so no building of small cities back there yet. They do love the their swings and hanging out in the play house :)

mom2Bellarose
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Oh how I wish our neighbors were that far away lol

Quoting BramblePatch:

Mobile Photo

We have a pretty big, unfenced yard. Right now there are two power wheel jeeps on the lawn, a swing set and sandbox filled with toys down on the creek, and two playhouses, a rope swing, and a picnic bench across the creek under the willows hidden from view of the road. We have a massive bunny hutch and 4 cords of firewood on the deck under the eaves.

Our nearest neighbors are a 1/4 mile down a diet road so we have relative peace to do as we please and bother no one.

kmath
by Silver Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:49 AM

He doesn't play in ours much.  We have a shed and a jungle gym that he hasn't used in a long while.  He mostly plays out front and with the neighbor kids.  I am cool with it though, our back yard isn't that big anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN