Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Dangers of homeschool comparisons/ paper project speech

Posted by   + Show Post

Happy Friday! 

I am currently writing a short essay to turn into a speech for our homeschool co-op.  It's primary focus is on the dangers of comparisons we make between ourselves and other homeschool families.  For some structure I am looking for a few questions we all ask ourselves or that others ask/ assume about us.  

One question that comes up is : am I really qualified to teach my own children? (Uhm yeah)

Another is : Am I doing enough? (Curriculum choices, socialization, extracurriculars, clubs)

what other questions do you ladies ask yourselves or struggle with?

by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Replies (11-16):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Quoting KrissyKC:

How can I be what each of them needs?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Omg this! I'm lucky if the dishes get done and the dogs get walked. Just walking past my perfect neighboors house makes me depressed,lol.

Quoting KrissyKC:

How the heck does "she" grow her own garden, can her veggies, make jellies, pies, manage to ALWAYS bring the sought after dessert to all the potlucks, grind her own wheat, make her own breads and grain producs (including granola bars with homemade granola!)... and her house still looks immaculate enough to host the ladies night out... and she has seven kids that she homeschools!!!!????!!!???!!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Precious333
by Julia on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Lol!!!! I feel the same....bye bye garden, clean house, sleep, mommy time and everything else!

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

ROTFLOL, KrissyKC!! That's EXACTLY what I wonder??  I can barely keep my head above water just doing the housework and homeschooling.. Our garden this summer yeilded A bell pepper... No time for canning, baking my own bread, hosting anything, etc.!

Quoting KrissyKC:

How the heck does "she" grow her own garden, can her veggies, make jellies, pies, manage to ALWAYS bring the sought after dessert to all the potlucks, grind her own wheat, make her own breads and grain producs (including granola bars with homemade granola!)... and her house still looks immaculate enough to host the ladies night out... and she has seven kids that she homeschools!!!!????!!!???!!  

mhaney03
by Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Am I putting enough time in?

How can I make this interesting enough?

KLove_Mom
by Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I heard this today... "I don't even want to help my kid with their work when they come home from school, I don't think I'd want to do it all the time."

My answer of course was that the children are more focused because they haven't already been at school for 6 hours, and that I love being able to give them individual attention to what they struggle with.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Quoting KLove_Mom:

I heard this today... "I don't even want to help my kid with their work when they come home from school, I don't think I'd want to do it all the time."

My answer of course was that the children are more focused because they haven't already been at school for 6 hours, and that I love being able to give them individual attention to what they struggle with.

I've heard this one too and I always answer the same way: when you are the one teaching the subject, you know what you are looking for, so you are much more able to help your child with what they are doing.  Plus we almost never have "homework", we can get our lessons done in the allotted time!  LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)